Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Neutralize'
- make politically neutral and thus inoffensive; "The treaty neutralized the small republic"
- make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of; "Her optimism neutralizes his gloom"; "This action will negate the effect of my efforts" [syn: neutralise, nullify, negate]
- oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues" [syn: counteract, countervail, counterbalance]
- get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized" [syn: neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in]
- make incapable of military action [syn: neutralise]
- make chemically neutral; "She neutralized the solution" [syn: neutralise]
- Neutralize \Neu"tral*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Neutralized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Neutralizing.] [Cf. F. neutraliser.]
- To render neutral; to reduce to a state of neutrality. So here I am neutralized again. --Sir W. Scott.
- (Chem.) To render inert or imperceptible the peculiar affinities of, as a chemical substance; to destroy the effect of; as, to neutralize an acid with a base.
- To destroy the peculiar or opposite dispositions of; to reduce to a state of indifference inefficience; to counteract; as, to neutralize parties in government; to neutralize efforts, opposition, etc. Counter citations that neutralize each other. --E. Everett.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Neutralize'
Neutralization is a chemical reaction in which an acid and a base interact with the formation of a salt to make a solution neutral. With strong acids and bases the important reaction is the combination of hydrogen ions with hydroxide ions to form water.
Neutralization may also refer to:
in electronics:[See more about Neutralize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Neutralize'
'Neutralize' in famous quotation sentence
* As a sinner I could not please God, I could not neutralize or pay for my own sin. But when God justified me by His grace He went on record declaring me righteous. He didn't wave a magic wand and declare me to be innocent. His holiness would not permit it. A basis for declaring me righteous was needed. The ground upon which my justification is built is the substitutionary death of His son, Jesus Christ. The shedding of blood demonstrates the righteousness of God 'that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus' (Rom. 326 NKJV). What a marvelous plan Man's plan of salvation by good works is offensive to God and to anyone who has been saved by God's grace. - Larry Riemersma
Click here for more related quotations on 'Neutralize'