Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Neutralize'
- make politically neutral and thus inoffensive; "The treaty neutralized the small republic"
- make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of; "Her optimism neutralizes his gloom"; "This action will negate the effect of my efforts" [syn: neutralise, nullify, negate]
- oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues" [syn: counteract, countervail, counterbalance]
- get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized" [syn: neutralise, liquidate, waste, knock off, do in]
- make incapable of military action [syn: neutralise]
- make chemically neutral; "She neutralized the solution" [syn: neutralise]
- Neutralize \Neu"tral*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Neutralized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Neutralizing.] [Cf. F. neutraliser.]
- To render neutral; to reduce to a state of neutrality. So here I am neutralized again. --Sir W. Scott.
- (Chem.) To render inert or imperceptible the peculiar affinities of, as a chemical substance; to destroy the effect of; as, to neutralize an acid with a base.
- To destroy the peculiar or opposite dispositions of; to reduce to a state of indifference inefficience; to counteract; as, to neutralize parties in government; to neutralize efforts, opposition, etc. Counter citations that neutralize each other. --E. Everett.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Neutralize'
Neutralization is a chemical reaction in which an acid and a base interact with the formation of a salt to make a solution neutral. With strong acids and bases the important reaction is the combination of hydrogen ions with hydroxide ions to form water.
Neutralization may also refer to:
in electronics:[See more about Neutralize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Neutralize'
'Neutralize' in famous quotation sentence
* As a sinner I could not please God, I could not neutralize or pay for my own sin. But when God justified me by His grace He went on record declaring me righteous. He didn't wave a magic wand and declare me to be innocent. His holiness would not permit it. A basis for declaring me righteous was needed. The ground upon which my justification is built is the substitutionary death of His son, Jesus Christ. The shedding of blood demonstrates the righteousness of God 'that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus' (Rom. 326 NKJV). What a marvelous plan Man's plan of salvation by good works is offensive to God and to anyone who has been saved by God's grace. - Larry Riemersma
Click here for more related quotations on 'Neutralize'
Neutralize Sample Sentences in News
- Scherzer strategizing to neutralize Angels
Against the Angels' righty-centric lineup Saturday, one can expect a healthy dose of sliders and changeups from Tigers starter Max Scherzer. C.J. Wilson will be on the hill opposite Scherzer as the Angels try to follow up Friday's win at Comerica Park. Read more on this news related to 'Neutralize'
- Diamond vision: LA Galaxy "neutralize" Real Salt Lake's vaunted midfield with new formation tweak
The LA Galaxy were seeking real quality in their game after that horrid first-half performance at Tijuana earlier in the week, but they were quite satisfied to come away from Rio Tinto Stadium with a point from a chippy 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake on Saturday. Coach Bruce Arena installed a new midfield system, a diamond meant to match up with RSL's, and LA we Read more on this news related to 'Neutralize'
- U.S. gets ready to destroy Syria's chemical weapons
Aileen Graef CALABRIA, Italy, April 11 (UPI) -- The U.S. is preparing to destroy Syria's chemical weapons as they outfit the MV Cape Ray with equipment to safely neutralize the weapons at sea. Read more on this news related to 'Neutralize'