Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nest'
- a structure in which animals lay eggs or give birth to their young
- a kind of gun emplacement; "a machine-gun nest"; "a nest of snipers"
- a cosy or secluded retreat
- a gang of people (criminals or spies or terrorists) assembled in one locality; "a nest of thieves"
- furniture pieces made to fit close together v
- inhabit a nest, usually after building; "birds are nesting outside my window every Spring"
- fit together or fit inside; "nested bowls"
- move or arrange oneself in a comfortable and cozy position; "We cuddled against each other to keep warm"; "The children snuggled into their sleeping bags" [syn: cuddle, snuggle, nestle, nuzzle, draw close]
- gather nests
- Nest \Nest\, n. [AS. nest; akin to D. & G. nest, Sw. n["a]ste,
L. nidus, for nisdus, Skr. n[=i]?a resting place, nest; cf.
Lith. lizdas, Arm. neiz, Gael. & Ir. nead. Prob. from the
particle ni down, Skr. ni + the root of E. sit, and thus
orig., a place to sit down in. [root] 26
- See Nether, and Sit, and cf. Eyas, Nidification, Nye.]
- The bed or receptacle prepared by a fowl for holding her eggs and for hatching and rearing her young. The birds of the air have nests. --Matt. viii. 20.
- Hence: the place in which the eggs of other animals, as insects, turtles, etc., are laid and hatched; a snug place in which young animals are reared. --Bentley.
- A snug, comfortable, or cozy residence or situation; a retreat, or place of habitual resort; hence, those who occupy a nest, frequent a haunt, or are associated in the same pursuit; as, a nest of traitors; a nest of bugs. A little cottage, like some poor man's nest. --Spenser.
- (Geol.) An aggregated mass of any ore or mineral, in an isolated state, within a rock.
- A collection of boxes, cases, or the like, of graduated size, each put within the one next larger.
- (Mech.) A compact group of pulleys, gears, springs, etc., working together or collectively. Nest egg, an egg left in the nest to prevent the hen from forsaking it, and to induce her to lay more in the same place; hence, figuratively, something laid up as the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nest'
A nest is a place of refuge to hold an animal's eggs and/or provide a place to live or raise offspring. They are usually made of some organic material such as twigs, grass, and leaves; or may simply be a depression in the ground, or a hole in a tree, rock or building. Human-made materials, such as string, plastic, cloth, hair or paper, may be used.
Generally each species has a distinctive style of nest. Nests can be found in many different habitats. They are built primarily by birds, but also by mammals (e.g. squirrels), fish, insects (e.g. wasps and termites) and reptiles (e.g. snakes and turtles).
The urge to prepare an area for the building of a nest is referred to as the nesting instinct and may occur in both mammals and birds.
Most species of birds build some sort of nest, though some lay their eggs directly onto rock ledges or bare soil without first modifying the area.[See more about Nest at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Nest'
'Nest' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Nest'
Nest Sample Sentences in News
- Nest taking over Mark Shale store on Mag Mile
Chicago furniture boutique Nest will expand into a store eight times its current size when it takes over the former Mark Shale space in the 900 North Michigan Avenue Shops next month. Read more on this news related to 'Nest'
- NYPD bags a nest full of hornets in the Bronx
Cops walked into a hornet’s nest Wednesday when they responded to a call of a large, menacing hive in The Bronx — just weeks after the retirement of longtime NYPD... Read more on this news related to 'Nest'
- Nest Is Partnering With A Smart Fan Company To Take The Internet Of Things To The Next Level
SenseME Carey Smith operates the smart fan. Google’s Nest Labs just made a new addition to its smart home repertoire — smart fans. On Tuesday morning, Nest announced it is collaborating with a company called Big Ass Fans, which sells ceiling fans that learn from their owners to adapt to their preferences. Nest’s smart thermostat will work with Big Ass Fan’ Read more on this news related to 'Nest'