Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nellie'
Nellie Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Sooty \Soot"y\, a. [Compar Sootier; superl. Sootiest.] [AS.
s?tig. See Soot.]
- Of or pertaining to soot; producing soot; soiled by soot. ``Fire of sooty coal.'' --Milton.
- Having a dark brown or black color like soot; fuliginous; dusky; dark. ``The grisly legions that troop under the sooty flag of Acheron.'' --Milton. Sooty albatross (Zo["o]l.), an albatross (Ph[oe]betria fuliginosa}) found chiefly in the Pacific Ocean; -- called also nellie. Sooty tern (Zo["o]l.), a tern (Sterna fuliginosa) found chiefly in tropical seas.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nellie'
- Nellie Oleson: Nellie Oleson is a fictional character that appeared in the children's books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder . Her character was later ...
- Nellie Ellis: Nellie Ellis is a fictional character from the BBC soap opera EastEnders , played by Elizabeth Kelly Nellie was introduced as the ...
- Nellie Connally: Idanell Brill "Nellie" Connally (February 24, 1919 – September 1, 2006) was the First Lady of Texas from 1963 to 1969. First Lady of ...
- Nellie the Elephant: Nellie the Elephant is a song written in 1956 by Ralph Butler and Peter Hart about a fictional intelligent elephant of the same name ...
- Nellie, Ohio: Nellie is a village in Coshocton County , Ohio , United States , along the Walhonding River . The population was 134 at the 2000 census . ...
- Nellie Shabalala: Nellie Shabalala (1953 - May 15, 2002) was the wife of Ladysmith Black Mambazo (LBM) leader and founder, Joseph Shabalala , for over ...
- Nellie Campobello: Nellie Francisca Ernestina Campobello Luna, born María Francisca Moya Luna (b. November 7, 1900 – d. July 9, 1986), was a Mexican writer ...
Words and phrases related to 'Nellie'
Meaning of the Name 'Nellie'
- Meaning: Abbreviation of Eleanor shining light.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Female
Nellie Sample Sentences in News
- Nellie McKay's unorthodox ways come to the Sellersville Theater
Nellie McKay - singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, author, stand-up comedian, performance artist - often is seen as an unorthodox entertainer. And her new show will do nothing to change that. Read more on this news related to 'Nellie'
- OFF THE BOARDS: Cate Blanchett, Nellie McKay and John Lithgow Take to the Stage
In a monthly roundup of cabaret and nightlife, some of Broadway's biggest names opt for more intimate affairs. Read more on this news related to 'Nellie'
- Nellie Chung Joins Brand New School
Award-winning integrated creative company announces the addition of Nellie Chung as Vice President of Strategy and Business Development. Read more on this news related to 'Nellie'