Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Motto'
n : a favorite saying of a sect or political group [syn: slogan,
[also: mottoes (pl)]
- Motto \Mot"to\, n.; pl. Mottoes. [It. motto a word, a saying,
L. muttum a mutter, a grunt, cf. muttire, mutire, to mutter,
mumble; prob. of imitative origin. Cf. Mot a word.]
- (Her.) A sentence, phrase, or word, forming part of an heraldic achievment.
- A sentence, phrase, or word, prefixed to an essay, discourse, chapter, canto, or the like, suggestive of its subject matter; a short, suggestive expression of a guiding principle; a maxim. It was the motto of a bishop eminent for his piety and good works, . . . ``Serve God, and be cheerful.'' --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Motto'
A motto (Italian for pledge, sentence; plural: mottos or mottoes) is a phrase meant to formally describe the general motivation or intention of a social group or organization. A motto may be in any language, but Latin is the most used. The local language is usual in the mottos of governments. In informal ways, it can be a rule or slogan someone follows, or lives their life by.
In heraldry, a motto is often depicted on a scroll in an achievement of arms, typically below the shield or else above the crest as in Scots heraldry.
In English mottoes are not granted with armorial bearings, and may be adopted and changed at will. In Scottish heraldry mottos can only be changed by remarticulation, with the Lord Lyon King of arms.
A canting motto is one that contains word play. For example, the motto of the Earl of Onslow is Festina lente, punningly interpreting on-slow (literally "make haste slowly").[See more about Motto at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Motto'
'Motto' in famous quotation sentence
* My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. - Hank Aaron
* My motto is that I enjoy life. I think there's a kind of simplicity to that way of thinking. - Jenna Elfman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Motto'
Motto Sample Sentences in News
- City reinstates motto
The Lebanon City Council reinstated the motto “The Town Friendliness Built,” at its meeting on Sept. 10. Read more on this news related to 'Motto'
- Should Ireland have a motto? What should it be?
“A1, Sharon” has our vote. Read more on this news related to 'Motto'
- Pa. county council rejects 'In God We Trust' motto
PITTSBURGH (AP) — A Pennsylvania county council has voted 8-6 against posting the national motto, "In God We Trust," in its chambers. Read more on this news related to 'Motto'