Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Motto'
n : a favorite saying of a sect or political group [syn: slogan,
[also: mottoes (pl)]
- Motto \Mot"to\, n.; pl. Mottoes. [It. motto a word, a saying,
L. muttum a mutter, a grunt, cf. muttire, mutire, to mutter,
mumble; prob. of imitative origin. Cf. Mot a word.]
- (Her.) A sentence, phrase, or word, forming part of an heraldic achievment.
- A sentence, phrase, or word, prefixed to an essay, discourse, chapter, canto, or the like, suggestive of its subject matter; a short, suggestive expression of a guiding principle; a maxim. It was the motto of a bishop eminent for his piety and good works, . . . ``Serve God, and be cheerful.'' --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Motto'
A motto (Italian for pledge, sentence; plural: mottos or mottoes) is a phrase meant to formally describe the general motivation or intention of a social group or organization. A motto may be in any language, but Latin is the most used. The local language is usual in the mottos of governments. In informal ways, it can be a rule or slogan someone follows, or lives their life by.
In heraldry, a motto is often depicted on a scroll in an achievement of arms, typically below the shield or else above the crest as in Scots heraldry.
In English mottoes are not granted with armorial bearings, and may be adopted and changed at will. In Scottish heraldry mottos can only be changed by remarticulation, with the Lord Lyon King of arms.
A canting motto is one that contains word play. For example, the motto of the Earl of Onslow is Festina lente, punningly interpreting on-slow (literally "make haste slowly").[See more about Motto at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Motto'
'Motto' in famous quotation sentence
* My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. - Hank Aaron
* My motto is that I enjoy life. I think there's a kind of simplicity to that way of thinking. - Jenna Elfman
Click here for more related quotations on 'Motto'
Motto Sample Sentences in News
- UIL boys basketball tournament: Team previews
CLASS 5AAllen (27-8)Rank: unrankedStreak: W5Team motto: “Get nasty!”State tournament appearances: 1 (2014)About the Eagles: Guard Nick Rutherford scored 27 points in a 65-58 win over Humble Atascocita in the Region II final, giving Allen its first trip to the state tournament. Read more on this news related to 'Motto'
- Motto! SoniComi Game's TV Commercial Previews Game Modes
"Love communication" Super Sonico game by Kadokawa Games ships on March 20 Read more on this news related to 'Motto'
- Appeals court finds Nevada school's uniform policy unconstitutional
Judges say requiring students to wear shirts emblazoned with the school motto is a violation of their free speech rights. SAN FRANCISCO — A public elementary school decided in 2011 to require students to wear a uniform with the school's motto, "Tomorrow's Leaders," emblazoned in small letters on the shirts around a gopher, the campus mascot. Read more on this news related to 'Motto'