Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Morality'
- concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct [ant: immorality]
- motivation based on ideas of right and wrong [syn: ethical motive, ethics, morals]
- Morality \Mo*ral"i*ty\, n.; pl. Moralities. [L. moralitas: cf.
- The relation of conformity or nonconformity to the moral standard or rule; quality of an intention, a character, an action, a principle, or a sentiment, when tried by the standard of right. The morality of an action is founded in the freedom of that principle, by virtue of which it is in the agent's power, having all things ready and requisite to the performance of an action, either to perform or not perform it. --South.
- The quality of an action which renders it good; the conformity of an act to the accepted standard of right. Of moralitee he was the flower. --Chaucer. I am bold to think that morality is capable of demonstration. --Locke.
- The doctrines or rules of moral duties, or the duties of men in their social character; ethics. The end of morality is to procure the affections to obey reason, and not to invade it. --Bacon. The system of morality to be gathered out of . . . ancient sages falls very short of that delivered in the gospel. --Swift.
- The practice of the moral duties; rectitude of life; conformity to the standard of right; virtue; as, we often admire the politeness of men whose morality we question.
- A kind of allegorical play, so termed because it consisted of discourses in praise of morality between actors representing such characters as Charity, Faith, Death, Vice, etc. Such plays were occasionally exhibited as late as the reign of Henry VIII. --Strutt.
- Intent; meaning; moral. [Obs.] Taketh the morality thereof, good men. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Morality'
Morality (from the Latin moralities "manner, character, proper behavior") is a sense of behavioral conduct that differentiates intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and bad (or wrong). A moral code is a system of morality (for example, according to a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc.) and a moral is any one practice or teaching within a moral code. Immorality is the active opposition to morality, while amorality is an absence of a set standard or indifference towards a standard set of moral beliefs. Morality has three principal meanings:
A key issue is the meaning of the terms "moral" or "immoral". Moral anti-realism would hold that morality is derived from any one of the norms prevalent in society (cultural relativism), merely the speakers' sentiments (emotivism), or an unsupported belief that there are objective moral facts (moral nihilism). Like the cultural relativist, the moral relativist holds that there is no correct definition of right behavior, and that morality can only be judged with respect to particular situations within the standards of particular belief systems and socio-historical contexts. This position often cites empirical evidence from anthropology of sharply contrasting views of "good" as supporting its claims.. Positions which claim that morality is derived from reasoning about implied imperatives (universal prescriptivism), the edicts of a god (divine command theory), or the hypothetical decrees of a perfectly rational being (ideal observer theory), are considered anti-realist in one ("robust") sense, but are considered realist in the sense synonymous with moral universalism.[See more about Morality at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Morality'
'Morality' in famous quotation sentence
* Stan Bad guy can't win. It's a morality tale. One way or the other - he's gotta go down. - Swordfish
* All sects are different, because they come from men morality is everywhere the same, because it comes from God. - Voltaire
Click here for more related quotations on 'Morality'
Morality Sample Sentences in News
- Tracing the roots of human morality in animals
The Bonobo and the Atheist and How Animals Grieve show that we must be careful when studying animals to learn about the origins of human traits and behaviours Read more on this news related to 'Morality'
- Lesbian couple in Allen says morality clause in divorce equals discrimination
A lesbian couple in Allen say they are targets of discrimination after a Collin County judge ruled they could no longer live together because of a morality clause in the 2011 divorce papers one of the women signed. Read more on this news related to 'Morality'
- The only thing I have to say about sexual morality is this . . .
. . . I wish that love could take away our hearts of stone and give us hearts of flesh Read more on this news related to 'Morality'