Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Moisture'
n : wetness caused by water; "drops of wet gleamed on the
window" [syn: wet]
- Moisture \Mois"ture\, n. [Cf. OF. moistour, F. moiteur.]
- A moderate degree of wetness. --Bacon.
- That which moistens or makes damp or wet; exuding fluid; liquid in small quantity. All my body's moisture Scarce serves to quench my furnace-burning heat. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Moisture'
Moisture refers to the presence of a liquid, especially water, often in trace amounts. Small amounts of water may be found, for example, in the air (humidity), in foods, and in various commercial products.
Control of moisture in products can be a vital part of the process of the product. There is a substantial amount of moisture in what seems to be dry matter. Ranging in products from cornflake cereals to washing powders, moisture can play an important role in the final quality of the product. There are two main aspects of concern in moisture control in products: allowing too much moisture or too little of it. For example, adding some water to cornflake cereal, which is sold by weight, reduces costs and prevents it from tasting too dry, but adding too much water can affect the crunchiness of the cereal and the freshness because water content contributes to bacteria growth. Water content of some foods is also manipulated to reduce the number of calories.[See more about Moisture at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Moisture'
Moisture Sample Sentences in News
- Egypt sticks to tough standards for wheat imports
* Minister earlier pledged to review moisture rule * Some traders sceptical about minister's drying proposal * Govt expected to tender again before local harvest (Adds trader quotes) By Maggie Fick and Valerie Parent CAIRO/PARIS April 8 (Reuters) - Egypt is committed to keeping tough specifications on wheat imports, Supplies Minister Khaled Hanafi said on Tues Read more on this news related to 'Moisture'
- April soil moisture levels high in Illinois
According to Illinois officials, the soil moisture in high across Illinois. Read more on this news related to 'Moisture'
- Report: April soil moisture level high in Illinois
Illinois officials say the level of soil moisture is high across Illinois. Read more on this news related to 'Moisture'