Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mist'
n : a thin fog with condensation near the ground
- become covered with mist; "The windshield misted over" [syn: mist over]
- make less visible or unclear; "The stars are obscured by the clouds" [syn: obscure, befog, becloud, obnubilate, haze over, fog, cloud]
- spray finely or cover with mist
- Mist \Mist\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Misted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To cloud; to cover with mist; to dim. --Shak.
- Mist \Mist\, v. i.
To rain in very fine drops; as, it mists.
- Mist \Mist\ (m[i^]st), n. [AS. mist; akin to D. & Sw. mist,
Icel. mistr, G. mist dung, Goth. ma['i]hstus, AS. m[=i]gan to
make water, Icel. m[=i]ga, Lith. migla mist, Russ. mgla, L.
mingere, meiere, to make water, gr. ? to make water, ? mist,
Skr. mih to make water, n., a mist m[hand]gha cloud.
- Cf. Misle, Mizzle, Mixen.]
- Visible watery vapor suspended in the atmosphere, at or near the surface of the earth; fog.
- Coarse, watery vapor, floating or falling in visible particles, approaching the form of rain; as, Scotch mist.
- Hence, anything which dims or darkens, and obscures or intercepts vision. His passion cast a mist before his sense. --Dryden. Mist flower (Bot.), a composite plant (Eupatorium c[oe]lestinum}), having heart-shaped leaves, and corymbs of lavender-blue flowers. It is found in the Western and Southern United States.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mist'
Mist is a phenomenon of small droplets suspended in air. It can occur as part of natural weather or volcanic activity, and is common in cold air above warmer water, in exhaled air in the cold, and in a steam room of a sauna. It can also be created artificially with aerosol canisters if the humidity conditions are right.
The only difference between mist and fog is visibility
Religious connotations are associated with mist in some cultures; it is used as a metaphor in 2 Peter 2:17.
Mist makes a beam of light visible from the side via refraction and reflection on the suspended water droplets.[See more about Mist at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mist'
Mist Sample Sentences in News
- Ocean Mist Farms Marks Beginning of Heirloom Artichoke Season
March is the beginning of peak artichoke season and Ocean Mist Farms, the largest grower of Heirloom artichokes in the country, is celebrating the company's 90th anniversary with multiple activities designed ... Read more on this news related to 'Mist'
- Tryouts for Seattle Mist women's football team on March 15
Final tryouts for the Kent-based Seattle Mist women's football team's 2014 season run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15 at the Tacoma Soccer Center, 2610 E. Bay St. Read more on this news related to 'Mist'
- Search and rescue dog owned by former policeman has her life spared despite viciously savaging a toddler
Border Collie Mist attacked two year old Rose who needed 18 stitches. If Mist attacks another child she will be put down" data-type="fb-share" data-action="article:3167302" > Share Read more on this news related to 'Mist'