Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mist'
n : a thin fog with condensation near the ground
- become covered with mist; "The windshield misted over" [syn: mist over]
- make less visible or unclear; "The stars are obscured by the clouds" [syn: obscure, befog, becloud, obnubilate, haze over, fog, cloud]
- spray finely or cover with mist
- Mist \Mist\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Misted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To cloud; to cover with mist; to dim. --Shak.
- Mist \Mist\, v. i.
To rain in very fine drops; as, it mists.
- Mist \Mist\ (m[i^]st), n. [AS. mist; akin to D. & Sw. mist,
Icel. mistr, G. mist dung, Goth. ma['i]hstus, AS. m[=i]gan to
make water, Icel. m[=i]ga, Lith. migla mist, Russ. mgla, L.
mingere, meiere, to make water, gr. ? to make water, ? mist,
Skr. mih to make water, n., a mist m[hand]gha cloud.
- Cf. Misle, Mizzle, Mixen.]
- Visible watery vapor suspended in the atmosphere, at or near the surface of the earth; fog.
- Coarse, watery vapor, floating or falling in visible particles, approaching the form of rain; as, Scotch mist.
- Hence, anything which dims or darkens, and obscures or intercepts vision. His passion cast a mist before his sense. --Dryden. Mist flower (Bot.), a composite plant (Eupatorium c[oe]lestinum}), having heart-shaped leaves, and corymbs of lavender-blue flowers. It is found in the Western and Southern United States.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mist'
Mist is a phenomenon of small droplets suspended in air. It can occur as part of natural weather or volcanic activity, and is common in cold air above warmer water, in exhaled air in the cold, and in a steam room of a sauna. It can also be created artificially with aerosol canisters if the humidity conditions are right.
The only difference between mist and fog is visibility
Religious connotations are associated with mist in some cultures; it is used as a metaphor in 2 Peter 2:17.
Mist makes a beam of light visible from the side via refraction and reflection on the suspended water droplets.[See more about Mist at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mist'
Mist Sample Sentences in News
- Tours4Fun Announces the Return of Maid of Mist Niagara Falls Tours
Is your family taking a trip to Niagara Falls this summer? One of the best ways to experience the Falls is to take a ride aboard the world-famous Maid of the Mist. As North America’s oldest tourist attraction, millions of visitors have enjoyed tours on the historic boat since 1846. Read more on this news related to 'Mist'
- Frank Darabont talks 'The Mist,' 'Walking Dead'
May 17, 2013 | 10:04 a.m. Thomas Jane as Rick Grimes? It might have happened if “The Walking Dead” creator Frank Darabont had had his way. Read more on this news related to 'Mist'
- 'The Mist': Frank Darabont, Thomas Jane on 'angry, bleak' ending
Read more on this news related to 'Mist'