Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Misleading'
adj : tending to deceive or mislead either deliberately or
inadvertently; "the deceptive calm in the eye of the
storm"; "deliberately deceptive packaging"; "a
misleading similarity"; "statistics can be presented in
ways that are misleading" [syn: deceptive]
- Mislead \Mis*lead"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Misled; p. pr. & vb.
n. Misleading.] [AS. misl?dan. See Mis-, and Lead to
To lead into a wrong way or path; to lead astray; to guide
into error; to cause to mistake; to deceive.
Trust not servants who mislead or misinform you.
To give due light To the mislead and lonely traveler.
Syn: To delude; deceive. See Deceive.
- Misleading \Mis*lead"ing\, a.
Leading astray; delusive.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Misleading'
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth (as in half-truths or omission). Deception can involve dissimulation, propaganda, sleight of hand. It can employ distraction, camouflage or concealment. There is also self-deception.
Deception is a major relational transgression that often leads to feelings of betrayal and distrust between relational partners. Deception violates relational rules and is considered to be a negative violation of expectations. Most people expect friends, relational partners, and even strangers to be truthful most of the time. If people expected most conversations to be untruthful, talking and communicating with others would require distraction and misdirection to acquire reliable information. On a given day, it is likely that most human beings will either deceive or be deceived by another person. A significant amount of deception occurs between romantic and relational partners.[See more about Misleading at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Misleading'
'Misleading' in famous quotation sentence
* How often misused words generate misleading thoughts. - Herbert Spencer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Misleading'
Misleading Sample Sentences in News
- Chiquita Sends Letter to Shareholders and Files Investor Presentation to Set Record Straight on Proposed Combination ...
Cutrale / Safra`s Misleading Statements and Flawed Calculations Fail to Make the Case that their Contingent $13 Per Share Proposal is Adequate Chiquita Board Reaffirms that $13 Per Share Does Not Constitute ... Read more on this news related to 'Misleading'
- Why Microsoft needs to solve the Windows Store 'crap app' crisis before Windows 9
Two years into the creation of the Windows Store, Microsoft is facing up to the mess. This week, the software giant removed 1,500 "misleading apps" from the Windows Store . New apps now face tighter guidelines, and Microsoft says it's putting more resources into identifying apps that "game the system with misleading titles and descriptions." Read more on this news related to 'Misleading'
- China's Tianhe Chemicals hits back at allegations over pre-float statements
* Tianhe says Anonymous report has errors, misleading statements * Tianhe stock targeted in advance by short-sellers SHANGHAI/HONG KONG, Sept 2 (Reuters) - China's Tianhe Chemicals Group has hit back at allegations that it falsified statements to auditors and investors ahead of its Hong Kong listing in June and forced trading in its shares to be suspended on T Read more on this news related to 'Misleading'