Migrate Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- move from one country or region to another and settle there; "Many Germans migrated to South America in the mid-19th century"; "This tribe transmigrated many times over the centuries"
- move periodically or seasonally; "birds migrate in the Winter"; "The worker migrate to where the crops need harvesting"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Migrate'?
Migrate Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Migration is when animals move on an annual cycle. For example, caribou in the Arctic go south in winter and return in summer when it is warmer. Many birds migrate, such as geese and storks.
Migration is the travelling of long distances in search of a new habitat. The trigger for the migration may be local climate, local availability of food, or the season of the year. To be counted as a true migration, and not just a local dispersal, the movement should be an annual or seasonal event.
Many birds migrate south for the winter, and young Atlantic salmon leave the river of their birth when they have reached a few inches in size.
Many species in the sea have a daily migration. Plankton go up for the day where there is light, and down at night, where they are less easy to find. The many species which feed on them follow them up and down.
Words and phrases related to 'Migrate'
Migrate Sample Sentences in News
- Teton motorists asked to be careful of migrating wildlife
MOOSE, Wyo. (AP) — Motorists in and around Grand Teton National Park are being asked to be cautious over the next few weeks as wildlife migrate from wintering areas toward summer ranges. Read more on this news related to 'Migrate'
- Nine in 10 medical students may leave Ireland on qualifying
Culture of ‘intention to migrate’ across all six of State’s medical training schools Read more on this news related to 'Migrate'
- Sea rise, salinity force Sunderbans inhabitants to migrate
Sea rise, salinity force Sunderbans inhabitants to migrate Read more on this news related to 'Migrate'