Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mat'
adj : not reflecting light; not glossy; "flat wall paint"; "a
photograph with a matte finish" [syn: flat, matt, matte,
- a thick flat pad used as a floor covering
- mounting consisting of a border or background for a picture [syn: matting]
- sports equipment consisting of a piece of thick padding on the floor for gymnastic sports [syn: gym mat]
- a master's degree in teaching [syn: Master of Arts in Teaching}]
- the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss [syn: flatness, lusterlessness, lustrelessness, matt, matte]
- a small pad of material that is used to protect surface from an object placed on it v
- twist together or entwine into a confusing mass; "The child entangled the cord" [syn: entangle, tangle, snarl] [ant: disentangle, disentangle]
- change texture so as to become matted and felt-like; "The fabric felted up after several washes" [syn: felt, felt up, mat up, matt-up, matte up, matte] [also: matting, matted]
- Mat \Mat\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Matted; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cover or lay with mats. --Evelyn.
- To twist, twine, or felt together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle. And o'er his eyebrows hung his matted hair. --Dryden.
- Mat \Mat\, v. i.
To grow thick together; to become interwoven or felted
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mat'
A mat is a generic term for a piece of fabric or flat material, generally placed on a floor or other flat surface, and serving a range of purposes including:
In domestic settings:
Matting or Floor Covering or Rugs is a general term embracing many coarse woven or plaited fibrous materials used for covering floors or furniture, for hanging as screens, for wrapping up heavy merchandise and for other miscellaneous purposes. In the United Kingdom, under the name of "coir" matting, a large amount of a coarse kind of carpet is made from coconut fibre; and the same material, as well as strips of cane, Manila hemp, various grasses and rushes, is largely employed in various forms for making doormats. Large quantities of the coconut fibre are woven in heavy looms, then cut up into various sizes, and finally bound round the edges by a kind of rope made from the same material. The mats may be of one colour only, or they may be made of different colours and in different designs. Sometimes the names of institutions are introduced into the mats. Due to the Silky nature and tensile strength, Jute Mats or Mattings have started being used as Floor covering or Doormats, runners and in different forms. Jute floor coverings consist of woven and tufted and piled carpets. Jute Mats and mattings starting from 1 mtr width to 6 mts width and of continuous length are easily being woven in Southern parts of India, in solid and fancy shades, and in different weaves like, Boucle, Panama, Herringbone, etc. Jute Mats & Rugs are made both through Powerloom & Handloom, in large volume from Kerala, India. Indian Jute Mattings / Rugs are being widely used in USA and European countries, due to its soft nature. Jute can be easily bleached, colored or printed, similar to textile fibres, with eco-friendly dyes & chemicals. Hand-knotted Jute carpets & mattings are also being made from Kerala, India.[See more about Mat at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mat'
'Mat' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Mat'
Mat Sample Sentences in News
- Mat Latos falls behind early in loss to Pirates
Reds' Mat Latos falls behind early in loss to Pirates. Read more on this news related to 'Mat'
- Mat Webber takes up director of rugby role at Pocklington RUFC
MAT WEBBER is swapping the captaincy for the director of rugby role at Pocklington RUFC, writes Jack Amor. Read more on this news related to 'Mat'
- Honor Oak juggling whizz Mat Ricardo brings variety to Leicester Square Theatre
EVERYONE has seen the trick where a tablecloth is removed without disturbing what is on the table, but have you seen the tablecloth put back on the same way? Read more on this news related to 'Mat'