Mask Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- a covering to disguise or conceal the face
- activity that tries to conceal something; "no mask could conceal his ignorance"; "they moved in under a mask of friendship"
- a party of guests wearing costumes and masks [syn: masquerade, masque]
- a protective covering worn over the face v
- hide under a false appearance; "He masked his disappointment" [syn: dissemble, cloak]
- put a mask on or cover with a mask; "Mask the children for Halloween" [ant: unmask]
- cover with a sauce; "mask the meat"
- shield from light [syn: block out]
- Mask \Mask\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Masked; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cover, as the face, by way of concealment or defense against injury; to conceal with a mask or visor. They must all be masked and vizarded. --Shak.
- To disguise; to cover; to hide. Masking the business from the common eye. --Shak.
- (Mil.) (a) To conceal; also, to intervene in the line of. (b) To cover or keep in check; as, to mask a body of troops or a fortess by a superior force, while some hostile evolution is being carried out.
- Mask \Mask\, n. [F. masque, LL. masca, mascha, mascus; cf. Sp. &
Pg. m['a]scara, It. maschera; all fr. Ar. maskharat buffoon,
fool, pleasantry, anything ridiculous or mirthful, fr.
sakhira to ridicule, to laugh at. Cf. Masque,
- A cover, or partial cover, for the face, used for disguise or protection; as, a dancer's mask; a fencer's mask; a ball player's mask.
- That which disguises; a pretext or subterfuge.
- A festive entertainment of dancing or other diversions, where all wear masks; a masquerade; hence, a revel; a frolic; a delusive show. --Bacon. This thought might lead me through the world's vain mask. --Milton.
- A dramatic performance, formerly in vogue, in which the actors wore masks and represented mythical or allegorical characters.
- (Arch.) A grotesque head or face, used to adorn keystones
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Mask'?
Mask Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A mask is a type of clothing which covers the face. It is similar to a veil, but more close-fitting.
There are different reasons why people use masks. A person can use masks so that others do not know who they are (as when a robber steals from a bank) or use it to keep someones face safe from harm (like a gas mask to make it so that harmful gases do not get into your body).
There are many practical uses for masks in everyday life. Mostly, the masks used are semi-masks which cover only the bottom half of the face, the mouth and nose. An example is the use of masks in operating theatres, and by wood-workers. In surgery, the purpose is to keep bacteria off the patient; in wood-working the purpose is to keep wood fibres out of the lungs.
In Venetian masks only the top half of the face is covered, to prevent recognition. Ice hockey masks, used in the Hannibal Lector films, cover the whole face to protect it from the hockey puck moving at high speed.[See more about Mask at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mask'
'Mask' example sentence in quotations
* Poverty is a veil that obscures the face of greatness. An appeal is a mask covering the face of tribulation. - Kahlil Gibran
* Man's great misfortune is that he has no organ, no kind of eyelid or brake, to mask or block a thought, or all thought, when he wants to. - Paul Valery
Click here for more related quotations on 'Mask'
Mask Sample Sentences in News
- Soccer-Masked Mandzukic to return in around 10 days
* Croatia forward recovering from fractured nose * Will have to wear protective mask on return (Adds Simeone quotes) MADRID, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Atletico Madrid forward Mario Mandzukic should make his return from a fractured nose in around 10 days but will have to wear a protective mask, the La Liga champions said on Friday. The Croatia international suffered the Read more on this news related to 'Mask'
- Bloody ski mask identifies man in violent Riviera Beach home invasion
A bloody ski mask led to the arrest of a man wanted for a Riviera Beach home invasion in July.Vincent James, 34, faces charges of attempted murder, burglary, kidnapping and possession of a weapon among other charges. Read more on this news related to 'Mask'
- PHOTO: Steve Mason's new goalie mask features zombie Al Capone
Steve Mason is going back to what works when it comes to goalie mask designs with his third zombie-themed design. After featuring some zombified American icons on one mask and his undead teammates on another, Mason’s latest zombie mask is a tad more sinister. The zombie characters that adorn Mason’s new mask for the 2014-15 season are former inmates of Philade Read more on this news related to 'Mask'