Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Map'
- a diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it)
- a function such that for every element of one set there is a unique element of another set [syn: mapping, correspondence] v
- make a map of; show or establish the features of details of; "map the surface of Venus"
- explore or survey for the purpose of making a map; "We haven't even begun to map the many galaxies that we know exist"
- locate within a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known DNA or gene sequences; "map the genes"
- plan, delineate, or arrange in detail; "map one's future" [syn: map out]
- depict as if on a map; "sorrow was mapped on the mother's face"
- to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets) [syn: represent] [also: mapping, mapped]
- Map \Map\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mapped; p. pr. & vb. n.
To represent by a map; -- often with out; as, to survey and
map, or map out, a county. Hence, figuratively: To represent
or indicate systematically and clearly; to sketch; to plan;
as, to map, or map out, a journey; to map out business.
I am near to the place where they should meet, if
Pisanio have mapped it truly. --Shak.
- Map \Map\, n. [From F. mappe, in mappemonde map of the world,
fr. L. mappa napkin, signal cloth; -- a Punic word. Cf.
Apron, Napkin, Nappe.]
- A representation of the surface of the earth, or of some portion of it, showing the relative position of the parts represented; -- usually on a flat surface. Also, such a representation of the celestial sphere, or of some part of it. Note: There are five principal kinds of projection used in making maps: the orthographic, the stereographic, the globuar, the conical, and the cylindrical, or Mercator's projection. See Projection.
- Anything which represents graphically a succession of events, states, or acts; as, an historical map.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Map'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Map'
A map is a visual representation of an area—a symbolic depiction highlighting relationships between elements of that space such as objects, regions, and themes.
Many maps are static two-dimensional, geometrically accurate (or approximately accurate) representations of three-dimensional space, while others are dynamic or interactive, even three-dimensional. Although most commonly used to depict geography, maps may represent any space, real or imagined, without regard to context or scale; e.g. Brain mapping, DNA mapping, and extraterrestrial mapping.
Cartography, or map-making is the study, and often practice of crafting representations of the Earth upon a flat surface (see History of cartography), and one who makes maps is called a cartographer.
Road maps are perhaps the most widely used maps today, and form a subset of navigational maps, which also include aeronautical and nautical charts, railroad network maps, and hiking and bicycling maps. In terms of quantity, the largest number of drawn map sheets is probably made up by local surveys, carried out by municipalities, utilities, tax assessors, emergency services providers, and other local agencies. Many national surveying projects have been carried out by the military, such as the British Ordnance Survey (now a civilian government agency internationally renowned for its comprehensively detailed work).[See more about Map at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Map'
'Map' in famous quotation sentence
* If we don't want to see the map of Central America covered in a sea of red, eventually lapping at our own borders, we must act now. - Ronald Reagan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Map'
Map Sample Sentences in News
- App set to map the oceans' plankton
A study calls on the world’s sailors and seafarers to help map the oceans’ phytoplankton, microscopic plants that form the bedrock of marine food chains. Read more on this news related to 'Map'
- Map of possible frost quake shows intensity in N.W. suburbs
A new map shows that reports of a large boom earlier this month – suspected to be a frost quake – came mostly from people living in Calgary’s northwest suburbs. Read more on this news related to 'Map'
- Feel Free to Use Your Phone's Map While Driving in California
A California court ruled today that using your phone's map app is legal which can only help poor tourists trying to navigate the state's ridiculous freeway system. Steven Spriggs was ticketed in January 2012 for using a maps app on his iPhone 4 while he was stuck in traffic, but the appellate court decided that using a map app does not break California Read more on this news related to 'Map'