Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Map'
- a diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it)
- a function such that for every element of one set there is a unique element of another set [syn: mapping, correspondence] v
- make a map of; show or establish the features of details of; "map the surface of Venus"
- explore or survey for the purpose of making a map; "We haven't even begun to map the many galaxies that we know exist"
- locate within a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known DNA or gene sequences; "map the genes"
- plan, delineate, or arrange in detail; "map one's future" [syn: map out]
- depict as if on a map; "sorrow was mapped on the mother's face"
- to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets) [syn: represent] [also: mapping, mapped]
- Map \Map\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mapped; p. pr. & vb. n.
To represent by a map; -- often with out; as, to survey and
map, or map out, a county. Hence, figuratively: To represent
or indicate systematically and clearly; to sketch; to plan;
as, to map, or map out, a journey; to map out business.
I am near to the place where they should meet, if
Pisanio have mapped it truly. --Shak.
- Map \Map\, n. [From F. mappe, in mappemonde map of the world,
fr. L. mappa napkin, signal cloth; -- a Punic word. Cf.
Apron, Napkin, Nappe.]
- A representation of the surface of the earth, or of some portion of it, showing the relative position of the parts represented; -- usually on a flat surface. Also, such a representation of the celestial sphere, or of some part of it. Note: There are five principal kinds of projection used in making maps: the orthographic, the stereographic, the globuar, the conical, and the cylindrical, or Mercator's projection. See Projection.
- Anything which represents graphically a succession of events, states, or acts; as, an historical map.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Map'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Map'
A map is a visual representation of an area—a symbolic depiction highlighting relationships between elements of that space such as objects, regions, and themes.
Many maps are static two-dimensional, geometrically accurate (or approximately accurate) representations of three-dimensional space, while others are dynamic or interactive, even three-dimensional. Although most commonly used to depict geography, maps may represent any space, real or imagined, without regard to context or scale; e.g. Brain mapping, DNA mapping, and extraterrestrial mapping.
Cartography, or map-making is the study, and often practice of crafting representations of the Earth upon a flat surface (see History of cartography), and one who makes maps is called a cartographer.
Road maps are perhaps the most widely used maps today, and form a subset of navigational maps, which also include aeronautical and nautical charts, railroad network maps, and hiking and bicycling maps. In terms of quantity, the largest number of drawn map sheets is probably made up by local surveys, carried out by municipalities, utilities, tax assessors, emergency services providers, and other local agencies. Many national surveying projects have been carried out by the military, such as the British Ordnance Survey (now a civilian government agency internationally renowned for its comprehensively detailed work).[See more about Map at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Map'
'Map' in famous quotation sentence
* If we don't want to see the map of Central America covered in a sea of red, eventually lapping at our own borders, we must act now. - Ronald Reagan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Map'
Map Sample Sentences in News
- This Stunning Carbon Map Could Unlock A New Way To Fight Climate Change
Stanford University scientists have produced... Read more on this news related to 'Map'
- Biomass Magazine Launches New Biogas Producer Map Highlighting On-Farm Digesters and Wastewater Treatment Plants
Biomass Magazine announced this week the completion of Biomass Magazine's 2015 U.S. Biogas Producer Map and list. This is the only online map produced that plots the location and status of all U.S. biogas ... Read more on this news related to 'Map'
- Map Breaks Down Boston Men’s Bad Behavior By Neighborhood
The folks at Lulu are back at it with a map of area men’s best and worst characteristics, broken down by neighborhood. Read more on this news related to 'Map'