Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Manner'
- how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion" [syn: mode, style, way, fashion]
- a way of acting or behaving [syn: personal manner]
- a kind; "what manner of man are you?"
- Manner \Man"ner\, n. [OE. manere, F. mani[`e]re, from OF.
manier, adj., manual, skillful, handy, fr. (assumed) LL.
manarius, for L. manuarius belonging to the hand, fr. manus
the hand. See Manual.]
- Mode of action; way of performing or effecting anything; method; style; form; fashion. The nations which thou hast removed, and placed in the cities of Samaria, know not the manner of the God of the land. --2 Kings xvii. 26. The temptations of prosperity insinuate themselves after a gentle, but very powerful,manner. --Atterbury.
- Characteristic mode of acting, conducting, carrying one's self, or the like; bearing; habitual style. Specifically: (a) Customary method of acting; habit. Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them. --Acts xvii. 2. Air and manner are more expressive than words. --Richardson. (b) pl. Carriage; behavior; deportment; also, becoming behavior; well-bred carriage and address. Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices. --Emerson. (c) The style of writing or thought of an author; characteristic peculiarity of an artist.
- Certain degree or measure; as, it is in a manner done already. The bread is in a manner common. --1 Sam. xxi.5.
- Sort; kind; style; -- in this application sometimes having the sense of a plural, sorts or kinds. Ye tithe mint, and rue, and all manner of herbs. --Luke xi. 42. I bid thee say, What manner of man art thou? --Coleridge. Note: In old usage, of was often omitted after manner, when employed in this sense. ``A manner Latin corrupt was her speech.'' --Chaucer. By any manner of means, in any way possible; by any sort of means. To be taken in, or with the manner. [A corruption of to be taken in the mainor. See Mainor.] To be taken in the very act. [Obs.] See Mainor. To make one's manners, to make a bow or courtesy; to offer
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Manner'
Manner is a line of confectionery from the Austrian conglomerate, Josef Manner & Comp AG. The corporation, founded in 1890, produces a wide assortment of confectionery products. These include wafers, long-life confectionery, chocolate-based confectionery, sweets, cocoa and a variety of seasonal products.
The company's best-known product are the "Neapolitan wafers", introduced in 1898. They are sold in blocks of ten 47 x 17 x 17 mm hazelnut-cream filled wafers. The hazelnuts were originally imported from the Naples region in Italy, hence the name. The basic recipe has remained unchanged to this day.
The company logo is a picture of St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. This dates back to the 1890s, when Josef Manner opened his first shop right next to the Cathedral. There is an agreement between the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vienna and the Manner Company whereby the latter is allowed the use of the logo in return for paying the wages of one stone mason doing repair work on the Cathedral.[See more about Manner at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Manner'
'Manner' in famous quotation sentence
* Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket, -- which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention, but the wise man saith, Put all your eggs in the one basket and -- watch that basket. - Mark Twain
* The right of bearing arms for a lawful purpose is not a right granted by the Constitution neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. - U.S. vs Cruikshan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Manner'
Manner Sample Sentences in News
- Judicial process and timing in Anwar’s case implies persecution not prosecution, says Bar Council
TMI The charge against Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and the manner in which his appeal was handled fuels the perception that the opposition leader was persecuted and not prosecuted, the Bar Council said. Malaysian Bar president Christopher Leong (pic) said that in the first place, the archaic provision under the Penal Code which criminalises sodomy … … Continue re Read more on this news related to 'Manner'
The charge against Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and the manner in which his appeal was handled fuels the perception that the opposition leader was persecuted and not prosecuted, the Bar Council said. Malaysian Bar president Christopher Leong (pic) said that in the first place, the archaic provision under the Penal Code which criminalises sodomy... Read more on this news related to 'Manner'
- Manner of pedestrian death undetermined
The Portland man struck by a truck on Interstate 5 early Monday died of severe blunt force trauma, but the manner of his death is undetermined, according to the Cowlitz County Coroner’s office. Read more on this news related to 'Manner'