Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Manner'
- how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion" [syn: mode, style, way, fashion]
- a way of acting or behaving [syn: personal manner]
- a kind; "what manner of man are you?"
- Manner \Man"ner\, n. [OE. manere, F. mani[`e]re, from OF.
manier, adj., manual, skillful, handy, fr. (assumed) LL.
manarius, for L. manuarius belonging to the hand, fr. manus
the hand. See Manual.]
- Mode of action; way of performing or effecting anything; method; style; form; fashion. The nations which thou hast removed, and placed in the cities of Samaria, know not the manner of the God of the land. --2 Kings xvii. 26. The temptations of prosperity insinuate themselves after a gentle, but very powerful,manner. --Atterbury.
- Characteristic mode of acting, conducting, carrying one's self, or the like; bearing; habitual style. Specifically: (a) Customary method of acting; habit. Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them. --Acts xvii. 2. Air and manner are more expressive than words. --Richardson. (b) pl. Carriage; behavior; deportment; also, becoming behavior; well-bred carriage and address. Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices. --Emerson. (c) The style of writing or thought of an author; characteristic peculiarity of an artist.
- Certain degree or measure; as, it is in a manner done already. The bread is in a manner common. --1 Sam. xxi.5.
- Sort; kind; style; -- in this application sometimes having the sense of a plural, sorts or kinds. Ye tithe mint, and rue, and all manner of herbs. --Luke xi. 42. I bid thee say, What manner of man art thou? --Coleridge. Note: In old usage, of was often omitted after manner, when employed in this sense. ``A manner Latin corrupt was her speech.'' --Chaucer. By any manner of means, in any way possible; by any sort of means. To be taken in, or with the manner. [A corruption of to be taken in the mainor. See Mainor.] To be taken in the very act. [Obs.] See Mainor. To make one's manners, to make a bow or courtesy; to offer
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Manner'
Manner is a line of confectionery from the Austrian conglomerate, Josef Manner & Comp AG. The corporation, founded in 1890, produces a wide assortment of confectionery products. These include wafers, long-life confectionery, chocolate-based confectionery, sweets, cocoa and a variety of seasonal products.
The company's best-known product are the "Neapolitan wafers", introduced in 1898. They are sold in blocks of ten 47 x 17 x 17 mm hazelnut-cream filled wafers. The hazelnuts were originally imported from the Naples region in Italy, hence the name. The basic recipe has remained unchanged to this day.
The company logo is a picture of St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. This dates back to the 1890s, when Josef Manner opened his first shop right next to the Cathedral. There is an agreement between the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vienna and the Manner Company whereby the latter is allowed the use of the logo in return for paying the wages of one stone mason doing repair work on the Cathedral.[See more about Manner at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Manner'
'Manner' in famous quotation sentence
* Behold, the fool saith, Put not all thine eggs in the one basket, -- which is but a manner of saying, Scatter your money and your attention, but the wise man saith, Put all your eggs in the one basket and -- watch that basket. - Mark Twain
* The right of bearing arms for a lawful purpose is not a right granted by the Constitution neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. - U.S. vs Cruikshan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Manner'
Manner Sample Sentences in News
- Volokh Conspiracy: The power to regulate elections, not campaigns
The Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 4, specifically gives Congress the power to regulate the Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections. Does this authorize Congressional regulation of election campaigns? Read more on this news related to 'Manner'
- Namibia: Food rations save lives in Namibia
[IFRC]As Namibia's drought has persisted over the last year, Manner Tjambiru has endured along with it. The 89-year-old mother of seven, and grandmother of 10 has survived, although all of her cattle have died. Read more on this news related to 'Manner'
- adidas Terrex Fast R Mid GTX Hiking Boot
Most hikers don't want a heavy boot. Sure, a heavy boot keeps out all manner of stuff, and it has a rigid sole that can do your feet a favor Read more on this news related to 'Manner'