Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lumber'
- the wood of trees cut and prepared for use as building material [syn: timber]
- an implement used in baseball by the batter [syn: baseball bat}] v
- move heavily or clumsily; "The heavy man lumbered across the room" [syn: pound]
- cut lumber, as in woods and forests [syn: log]
- Lumber \Lum"ber\, n. [Prob. fr. Lombard, the Lombards being the
money lenders and pawnbrokers of the Middle Ages. A lumber
room was, according to Trench, originally a Lombard room, or
room where the Lombard pawnbroker stored his pledges. See
- A pawnbroker's shop, or room for storing articles put in pawn; hence, a pledge, or pawn. [Obs.] They put all the little plate they had in the lumber, which is pawning it, till the ships came. --Lady Murray.
- Old or refuse household stuff; things cumbrous, or bulky and useless, or of small value.
- Timber sawed or split into the form of beams, joists, boards, planks, staves, hoops, etc.; esp., that which is smaller than heavy timber. [U.S.] Lumber kiln, a room in which timber or lumber is dried by artificial heat. [U.S.] Lumber room, a room in which unused furniture or other lumber is kept. [U.S.] Lumber wagon, a heavy rough wagon, without springs, used for general farmwork, etc.
- Lumber \Lum"ber\, b. t. [imp. & p. p. Lumbered; p. pr. & vb.
- To heap together in disorder. `` Stuff lumbered together.'' --Rymer.
- To fill or encumber with lumber; as, to lumber up a room.
- Lumber \Lum"ber\, v. i.
- To move heavily, as if burdened.
- [Cf. dial. Sw. lomra to resound.] To make a sound as if moving heavily or clumsily; to rumble. --Cowper.
- To cut logs in the forest, or prepare timber for market. [U.S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lumber'
Lumber or timber is wood in any of its stages from felling through readiness for use as structural material for construction, or wood pulp for paper production. (The distinction between the two terms is discussed below.)
Lumber is supplied either rough or finished. Besides pulpwood, rough lumber is the raw material for furniture-making and other items requiring additional cutting and shaping. It is available in many species, usually hardwoods. Finished lumber is supplied in standard sizes, mostly for the construction industry, primarily softwood from coniferous species including pine, fir and spruce (collectively known as Spruce-pine-fir), cedar, hemlock, but also some hardwood, for high-grade flooring.
In the United Kingdom and Australia, timber is a term also used for sawn wood products (that is, boards), whereas generally in the United States and Canada, the product of timber cut into boards is referred to as lumber. In the United States and Canada, timber often refers to the wood contents of standing, live trees that can be used for lumber or fiber production, although it can also be used to describe sawn lumber whose smallest dimension is not less than 5 inches (127 mm) such as the large dimension and often partially finished lumber used in timber-frame construction. In the United Kingdom the word lumber has several other meanings, including unused or unwanted items.[See more about Lumber at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Lumber'
'Lumber' in famous quotation sentence
* The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. - Dave Barry
* A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to need, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it. - Conan Doyle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Lumber'
Lumber Sample Sentences in News
- Timber! Watch out for Falling Lumber Prices
U.S. homebuilders have been on a tear, up over 400% since their lows in 2009. However, cracks are beginning to surface as lumber prices fall 20% in under two months. Is lumber warning of a slowdown in ... Read more on this news related to 'Lumber'
- Bayou City Lumber Announces New Specials on Vinyl Bulkhead Material
Houston area lumber supplier offers new durable material. (PRWeb May 19, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10746867.htm Read more on this news related to 'Lumber'
- Death Cross on Lumber Chart Signals Decline: Technical Analysis
Lumber prices, down 13 percent this year, may extend the slump to the lowest since October after moving averages formed a “death cross,” according to technical analysis by Paul Kavanaugh at FuturePath Trading LLC. Read more on this news related to 'Lumber'