Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Loci'
Loci Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the scene of any event or action (especially the place of a meeting) [syn: venue, locale]
- the specific site of a particular gene on its chromosome
- the set of all points or lines that satisfy or are determined by specific conditions; "the locus of points equidistant from a given point is a circle" [also: loci (pl)]
- Locus \Lo"cus\, n.; pl. Loci, & Loca. [L., place. Cf.
Allow, Couch, Lieu, Local.]
- A place; a locality.
- (Math.) The line traced by a point which varies its position according to some determinate law; the surface described by a point or line that moves according to a given law. Plane locus, a locus that is a straight line, or a circle. Solid locus, a locus that is one of the conic sections.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Loci'
- Loci Theologici: Loci Theologici was a term applied by Melanchthon to Evangelical systems of dogmatics and retained by many as late as the seventeenth ...
- Genius loci: In classical Roman religion a genius loci was the protective spirit of a place. It was often depicted in religious iconography as a ...
- Method of loci: The method of loci (plural of Latin locus for place or location), also called the memory palace, is a general designation for mnemonic ...
- Loci Communes: Loci Communes or Loci communes rerum theologicarum seu hypotyposes theologicae (Latin for Common Places in Theology or Fundamental Doctrinal ...