Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Like'
- resembling or similar; having the same or some of the same characteristics; often used in combination; "suits of like design"; "a limited circle of like minds"; "members of the cat family have like dispositions"; "as like as two peas in a pod"; "doglike devotion"; "a dreamlike quality" [syn: similar] [ant: unlike]
- equal in amount or value; "like amounts"; "equivalent amounts"; "the same amount"; "gave one six blows and the other a like number"; "an equal number"; "the same number" [syn: equal, equivalent, same] [ant: unlike]
- having the same or similar characteristics; "all politicians are alike"; "they looked utterly alike"; "friends are generaly alike in background and taste" [syn: alike(p), similar] [ant: unalike]
- conforming in every respect; "boxes with corresponding dimensions"; "the like period of the preceding year" [syn: comparable, corresponding] v
- prefer or wish to do something; "Do you care to try this dish?"; "Would you like to come along to the movies?" [syn: wish, care]
- find enjoyable or agreeable; "I like jogging"; "She likes to read Russian novels" [ant: dislike]
- be fond of; "I like my nephews"
- feel about or towards; consider, evaluate, or regard; "How did you like the President's speech last night?"
- want to have; "I'd like a beer now!"
- Like \Like\ (l[imac]k), a. [Compar. Liker (l[imac]k"[~e]r);
superl. Likest.] [OE. lik, ilik, gelic, AS. gel[=i]c, fr.
pref. ge- + l[=i]c body, and orig. meaning, having the same
body, shape, or appearance, and hence, like; akin to OS.
gil[=i]k, D. gelijk, G. gleich, OHG. gil[=i]h, Icel. l[=i]kr,
gl[=i]kr, Dan. lig, Sw. lik, Goth. galeiks, OS. lik body, D.
lijk, G. leiche, Icel. l[=i]k, Sw. lik, Goth. leik. The
English adverbial ending-ly is from the same adjective. Cf.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Like'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Like'
In the English language, the word like has a very flexible range of uses, ranging from conventional to non-standard. It can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, preposition, particle, conjunction, hedge, interjection, and quotative.
Like is one of the words in the English language that can introduce a simile (a stylistic device comparing two dissimilar ideas) as in, "He plays like Okocha". It can also be used in non-simile comparisons such as, "He has a toy like hers".
Like is often used in place of the subordinating conjunction as, or as if. Examples:
Many people became aware of the two options in 1954, when a famous ad campaign for Winston cigarettes introduced the slogan "Winston tastes good — like a cigarette should." The slogan was criticized for its usage by prescriptivists, the "as" or "as if" construction being considered more proper. Winston countered with another ad, featuring a woman with greying hair in a bun who insists that ought to be "Winston tastes good as a cigarette should" and is shouted down by happy cigarette smokers asking "What do you want — good grammar or good taste?"[See more about Like at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Like'
'Like' in famous quotation sentence
* In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell. - H.L. Mencken
* Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists. - H.L. Mencken
Click here for more related quotations on 'Like'
Like Sample Sentences in News
- Bitcoin Buying 101: Person-To-Person Exchanges Like Satoshi Square Make Purchasing Cryptocurrencies Easy
What’s it like to buy bitcoin? In a word: simple. The cryptocurrancy has been getting a lot of attention recently, from the controversial finding of Satoshi Nakamoto , the alleged creator of the bitcoin protocol, to the death of MtGox , a bitcoin exchange that lost almost 7 percent of the current market in a single bankruptcy. Read more on this news related to 'Like'
- Movie review: Like Father, Like Son splices genetic dilemma (with video)
Like Father, Like Son Three-and-a-half stars out of five Starring: Masaharu Fukuyama, Machiko Ono, Yoko Maki Directed by: Hirokazu Koreeda Running time: 121 minutes (In Japanese with English subtitles) When we decide to have children, we don’t like to think […] Read more on this news related to 'Like'
- Smart or tacky? Busy brides outsource wedding vows, thank-you notes
Like many brides-to-be, Jan Hernandez felt stressed during the months leading up to her wedding. On top of planning the event, she and her fiance, Adrian, were in the middle of buying a new home. So when it came time to write their wedding vows, they wanted some extra help. Read more on this news related to 'Like'