Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lateral'
Lateral Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- situated at or extending to the side; "the lateral branches of a tree"; "shot out sidelong boughs"- Tennyson [syn: sidelong]
- lying away from the median and sagittal plane of a body; "lateral lemniscus" n : a pass to a receiver upfield from the passer [syn: lateral pass}]
- Lateral \Lat"er*al\, a. [L. lateralis, fr. latus, lateris, side:
cf. F. lat['e]ral.]
- Of or pertaining to the sides; as, the lateral walls of a house; the lateral branches of a tree.
- (Anat.) Lying at, or extending toward, the side; away from the mesial plane; external; -- opposed to mesial.
- Directed to the side; as, a lateral view of a thing. Lateral cleavage (Crystallog.), cleavage parallel to the lateral planes. Lateral equation (Math.), an equation of the first degree. [Obs.] Lateral line (Anat.), in fishes, a line of sensory organs along either side of the body, often marked by a distinct line of color. Lateral pressure or stress (Mech.), a pressure or stress at right angles to the length, as of a beam or bridge; -- distinguished from longitudinal pressure or stress. Lateral strength (Mech.), strength which resists a tendency to fracture arising from lateral pressure. Lateral system (Bridge Building), the system of horizontal braces (as between two vertical trusses) by which lateral stiffness is secured.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lateral'
- Lateral: Lateral may refer to: Lateral (anatomy), an anatomical direction. Lateral canal , a canal built beside another stream. Lateral consonant , an "L ...
- Lateral consonant: Laterals are "L"-like consonant s pronounced with an occlusion made somewhere along the axis of the tongue, while air from the lungs ...
- Lateral pass: In American football , a lateral pass or lateral, officially backward pass (onside pass in Canadian football ), occurs when the ball carrier ...
- Lateral clicks: The lateral clicks are a family of click consonant s found only in African language s. on their horse s is a lateral click, although it ...
- Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative: The voiceless alveolar lateral fricative is a type of consonant al sound, used in some spoken language s. velarized alveolar lateral approximant . ...
- Lateral thinking: Lateral thinking is solving problems through an indirect and creative approach, using reasoning that is not immediately obvious and ...
- Lateral ventricles: The lateral ventricles are part of the ventricular system of the brain . Classified as part of the telencephalon , they are the largest ...
- Lateral meniscus: The lateral meniscus, also called the external semilunar fibrocartilage, is a fibrocartilaginous band that spans the lateral side of the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Lateral'
Lateral Sample Sentences in News
- Final round of Hyundai Lateral Drift Challenge in Libis
The final round of the Hyundai Lateral Drift Challenge flags off at the Mega Tent in Libis, Quezon City this Saturday with Pilipinas Got Talent Season 4 Finalist and Championship leader Gio Rodriguez of Team Atoy Customs battling it out with six-time champion Alex Perez of Team Yellow Cab, 2011 champion Audel Sison of Team Autocraft Drift, Boodie Da Basol of Team Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'
- Lateral Habenula Brain Region Plays Role In Decision-Making, Study Finds
You can thank a little region of your brain called the lateral habenula for all the decisions you make throughout the day. Researchers from the University of British Columbia found that this brain region -- which has been linked in past studies to avoidance behaviors and depression -- could also have a role in decision-making. For the study, published in the journ Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'
- Brain region key to decision-making discovered
The function of the lateral habenula, one of the smallest brain regions and evolution-wise considered one of the oldest, has been somewhat of a mystery to science, although there is evidence that it is involved in depression and avoidance behavior. Now, a new Canadian study of rats suggests it plays an important role in making cost-benefit decisions.Researchers fr Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'