Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lateral'
Lateral Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- situated at or extending to the side; "the lateral branches of a tree"; "shot out sidelong boughs"- Tennyson [syn: sidelong]
- lying away from the median and sagittal plane of a body; "lateral lemniscus" n : a pass to a receiver upfield from the passer [syn: lateral pass}]
- Lateral \Lat"er*al\, a. [L. lateralis, fr. latus, lateris, side:
cf. F. lat['e]ral.]
- Of or pertaining to the sides; as, the lateral walls of a house; the lateral branches of a tree.
- (Anat.) Lying at, or extending toward, the side; away from the mesial plane; external; -- opposed to mesial.
- Directed to the side; as, a lateral view of a thing. Lateral cleavage (Crystallog.), cleavage parallel to the lateral planes. Lateral equation (Math.), an equation of the first degree. [Obs.] Lateral line (Anat.), in fishes, a line of sensory organs along either side of the body, often marked by a distinct line of color. Lateral pressure or stress (Mech.), a pressure or stress at right angles to the length, as of a beam or bridge; -- distinguished from longitudinal pressure or stress. Lateral strength (Mech.), strength which resists a tendency to fracture arising from lateral pressure. Lateral system (Bridge Building), the system of horizontal braces (as between two vertical trusses) by which lateral stiffness is secured.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lateral'
- Lateral: Lateral may refer to: Lateral (anatomy), an anatomical direction. Lateral canal , a canal built beside another stream. Lateral consonant , an "L ...
- Lateral consonant: Laterals are "L"-like consonant s pronounced with an occlusion made somewhere along the axis of the tongue, while air from the lungs ...
- Lateral pass: In American football , a lateral pass or lateral, officially backward pass (onside pass in Canadian football ), occurs when the ball carrier ...
- Lateral clicks: The lateral clicks are a family of click consonant s found only in African language s. on their horse s is a lateral click, although it ...
- Voiceless alveolar lateral fricative: The voiceless alveolar lateral fricative is a type of consonant al sound, used in some spoken language s. velarized alveolar lateral approximant . ...
- Lateral thinking: Lateral thinking is solving problems through an indirect and creative approach, using reasoning that is not immediately obvious and ...
- Lateral ventricles: The lateral ventricles are part of the ventricular system of the brain . Classified as part of the telencephalon , they are the largest ...
- Lateral meniscus: The lateral meniscus, also called the external semilunar fibrocartilage, is a fibrocartilaginous band that spans the lateral side of the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Lateral'
Lateral Sample Sentences in News
- Analysis and Forecasts of the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Therapeutics Market
NEW YORK, LONDON, BERLIN and PARIS, June 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- " Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2019 ". The report is an essential source of information and ... Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'
- Lateral Hazard: Justin Rose worthy of his starring role in the Phil-adelphia Story
The U.S. Open at Merion presented a stiff challenge, one that Justin Rose handled beautifully. Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'
- Lateral Hazard: Patience and strategy are required for 2013 U.S. Open at Merion
Playing on an old-school course at Merion, Tiger Woods and the world's other top golfers will have to bring their short game. Read more on this news related to 'Lateral'