Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Languid'
adj : lacking spirit or liveliness; "a lackadaisical attempt"; "a
languid mood"; "a languid wave of the hand"; "a hot
languorous afternoon" [syn: dreamy, lackadaisical,
- Languid \Lan"guid\, a. [L. languidus, fr. languere to be faint
or languid: cf. F. languide. See Languish.]
- Drooping or flagging from exhaustion; indisposed to exertion; without animation; weak; weary; heavy; dull. `` Languid, powerless limbs. '' --Armstrong. Fire their languid souls with Cato's virtue. --Addison.
- Slow in progress; tardy. `` No motion so swift or languid.'' --Bentley.
- Promoting or indicating weakness or heaviness; as, a languid day. Feebly she laugheth in the languid moon. --Keats. Their idleness, aimless and languid airs. --W. Black. Syn: Feeble; weak; faint; sickly; pining; exhausted; weary; listless; heavy; dull; heartless. -- Lan"guid*ly, adv. -- Lan"guid*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Languid'
Fatigue (also called exhaustion, lethargy, languidness, languor, lassitude, and listlessness) is a state of awareness describing a range of afflictions, usually associated with physical and/or mental weakness, though varying from a general state of lethargy to a specific work-induced burning sensation within one's muscles. Physical fatigue is the inability to continue functioning at the level of one's normal abilities. It is ubiquitous in everyday life, but usually becomes particularly noticeable during heavy exercise. Mental fatigue, on the other hand, rather manifests in somnolence (sleepiness).
Fatigue is considered a symptom, as opposed to a medical sign, because it is reported by the patient instead of being observed by others. Fatigue and ‘feelings of fatigue’ are often confused.[See more about Languid at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Languid'
Languid Sample Sentences in News
- MATCH ZONE SPECIAL: Yaya a liability? Wembley hero made most passes, scored a stunner, laid on third and covered every ...
Yaya Toure has been derided as a languid liability in some quarters – his performance in helping Manchester City to victory in the Capital One Cup final suggests such opinion is misplaced. Misplaced, however, is one word which cannot be used to describe his stunning strike which drew City level early in the second half during their 3-1 triumph over Sunderland. Read more on this news related to 'Languid'
- Neuer: I knew how Ozil would take penalty
The Bayern Munich goalkeeper says he expected the record Arsenal signing's languid approach to his spot-kick on Wednesday and has warned against complacency after the 2-0 win Read more on this news related to 'Languid'
- The critical list
FILM PICK — STRANGER BY THE LAKE A stunning, languid French thriller about a murder beside a gay cruising ground. Starring the best and tiniest Speedos you’ve ever seen. See review, in this section. Read more on this news related to 'Languid'