Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Landscape'
- an expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view
- painting depicting an expanse of natural scenery
- a genre of art dealing with the depiction of natural scenery [syn: landscape painting]
- an extensive mental viewpoint; "the political landscape looks bleak without a change of administration"; "we changed the landscape for solving the proble of payroll inequity" v
- embellish with plants; "Let's landscape the yard"
- do landscape gardening; "My sons landscapes for corporations and earns a good living"
- Landscape \Land"scape\, n. [Formerly written also landskip.]
[D. landschap; land land + -schap, equiv. to E. -schip; akin
to G. landschaft, Sw. landskap, Dan. landskab. See Land,
- A portion of land or territory which the eye can comprehend in a single view, including all the objects it contains.
- A picture representing a scene by land or sea, actual or fancied, the chief subject being the general aspect of nature, as fields, hills, forests, water. etc.
- The pictorial aspect of a country. The landscape of his native country had taken hold on his heart. --Macaulay. Landscape gardening, The art of laying out grounds and arranging trees, shrubbery, etc., in such a manner as to produce a picturesque effect.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Landscape'
Landscape comprises the visible features of an area of land, including the physical elements of landforms, water bodies such as rivers, lakes and the sea, living elements of land cover including indigenous vegetation, human elements including land uses, buildings and structures, and transitory elements such as lighting and weather conditions.
Combining both their physical origins and the cultural overlay of human presence, often created over millennia, landscapes reflect the living synthesis of people and place vital to local and national identity. Landscapes, their character and quality, help define the self image of a region, its sense of place that differentiates it from other regions. It is the dynamic backdrop to people’s lives.
The Earth has a vast range of landscapes including the icy landscapes of polar regions, mountainous landscapes, vast arid desert landscapes, islands and coastal landscapes, densely forested or wooded landscapes including past boreal forests and tropical rainforests, and agricultural landscapes of temperate and tropical regions.[See more about Landscape at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Landscape'
'Landscape' in famous quotation sentence
* A good question is never answered. It is not a bolt to be tightened into place but a seed to be planted and to bear more seed toward the hope of greening the landscape of idea. - John Anthony Ciardi
* But one of the attributes of love, like art, is to bring harmony and order out of chaos, to introduce meaning and affect where before there was none, to give rhythmic variations, highs and lows to a landscape that was previously flat. - Molly Haskell
Click here for more related quotations on 'Landscape'
Landscape Sample Sentences in News
- Changing Healthcare Landscape Leads to New VP Role at Renaissance Dental
With a new benefit landscape and healthcare exchanges taking shape, Renaissance Dental has prepared for the new environment by placing more focus on new business development within private and public exchanges. Read more on this news related to 'Landscape'
- New ways to conserve landscape water use: Drought prompting more attention to technology
City officials and landscape professionals seeking new ways to keep thirsty parks green while also conserving water in a drought learned that new technology is available to help them meet both their goals. Read more on this news related to 'Landscape'
- How to eat your landscape in style
Author and landscape architect Senga Lindsay will inspire both your landscape and your fresh-from-the-garden meals with her multi-media workshop, The Best of the Best: Edible Trees, Shrubs and Plants to Use in Your Landscape. Read more on this news related to 'Landscape'