Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
- the position of a prominent or well-known object in a particular landscape; "the church steeple provided a convenient landmark"
- an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend; "the agreement was a watershed in the history of both nations" [syn: turning point, watershed]
- a mark showing the boundary of a piece of land
- an anatomical structure used as a point of origin in locating other anatomical structures (as in surgery) or as point from which measurements can be taken
- Landmark \Land"mark`\, n. [AS. landmearc. See Land, and Mark
- A mark to designate the boundary of land; any, mark or fixed object (as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
- Any conspicuous object on land that serves as a guide; some prominent object, as a hill or steeple. Landmarks of history, important events by which eras or conditions are determined.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
Originally, a landmark literally meant a geographic feature used by explorers and others to find their way back or through an area.
In modern usage, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument, building, or other structure. In American English it is the main term used to designate places that might be of interest to tourists due to notable physical features or historical significance. Landmarks in the British English sense are often used for casual navigation, such as giving directions. This is done in American English as well.
A variant is a seamark or daymark, a structure usually built intentionally to aid sailors navigating featureless coasts. An example is the tower at Walton-on-the-Naze in England.[See more about Landmark at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Landmark'
Landmark Sample Sentences in News
- Edmund Pettus Bridge designated as national historic landmark
The Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma has been designated as a national historic landmark. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
- Landmark court decision paves way for compo
When Cynthia Jones walked into her son's hospital room after he plummeted 20 metres on a construction site, she could only recognise him by his flaming red hair. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
- Watkins Landmark Construction Proudly Debuts Its Indian Wells Tennis Garden Expansion at the BNP Paribas Open
San Diego-based Watkins Landmark Construction is proud to debut its latest "landmark" project: the newly renovated and vastly expanded Indian Wells Tennis Garden, home of the BNP Paribas Open, ... Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'