Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
- the position of a prominent or well-known object in a particular landscape; "the church steeple provided a convenient landmark"
- an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend; "the agreement was a watershed in the history of both nations" [syn: turning point, watershed]
- a mark showing the boundary of a piece of land
- an anatomical structure used as a point of origin in locating other anatomical structures (as in surgery) or as point from which measurements can be taken
- Landmark \Land"mark`\, n. [AS. landmearc. See Land, and Mark
- A mark to designate the boundary of land; any, mark or fixed object (as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
- Any conspicuous object on land that serves as a guide; some prominent object, as a hill or steeple. Landmarks of history, important events by which eras or conditions are determined.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
Originally, a landmark literally meant a geographic feature used by explorers and others to find their way back or through an area.
In modern usage, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument, building, or other structure. In American English it is the main term used to designate places that might be of interest to tourists due to notable physical features or historical significance. Landmarks in the British English sense are often used for casual navigation, such as giving directions. This is done in American English as well.
A variant is a seamark or daymark, a structure usually built intentionally to aid sailors navigating featureless coasts. An example is the tower at Walton-on-the-Naze in England.[See more about Landmark at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Landmark'
Landmark Sample Sentences in News
- Landmark case 'could help' victims
Victims of crime could benefit from a "landmark" case which saw a man jailed for a series of sex assaults and rape, the Crown Prosecution Service says. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
- LANDMARK LEGISLATIONIllinois governor signs pension overhaul into law
Gov. Pat Quinn has signed landmark legislation Thursday to reform Illinois' massively-underfunded pension system, though the new law is certain to face threatened lawsuits by labor unions. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
- Wienerschnitzel Is Now a Historic Landmark
If you don't live in on the West Coast, in the Southwest, or in Guam, then you probably don't know much about the hot dog fast food chain Wienerschnitzel. But if you do, then perhaps you'll be pleased to know that its first-ever location was granted historic-cultural landmark status today. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'