Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
- the position of a prominent or well-known object in a particular landscape; "the church steeple provided a convenient landmark"
- an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend; "the agreement was a watershed in the history of both nations" [syn: turning point, watershed]
- a mark showing the boundary of a piece of land
- an anatomical structure used as a point of origin in locating other anatomical structures (as in surgery) or as point from which measurements can be taken
- Landmark \Land"mark`\, n. [AS. landmearc. See Land, and Mark
- A mark to designate the boundary of land; any, mark or fixed object (as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
- Any conspicuous object on land that serves as a guide; some prominent object, as a hill or steeple. Landmarks of history, important events by which eras or conditions are determined.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Landmark'
Originally, a landmark literally meant a geographic feature used by explorers and others to find their way back or through an area.
In modern usage, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument, building, or other structure. In American English it is the main term used to designate places that might be of interest to tourists due to notable physical features or historical significance. Landmarks in the British English sense are often used for casual navigation, such as giving directions. This is done in American English as well.
A variant is a seamark or daymark, a structure usually built intentionally to aid sailors navigating featureless coasts. An example is the tower at Walton-on-the-Naze in England.[See more about Landmark at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Landmark'
Landmark Sample Sentences in News
- Landmark Dividend Funds Stellar Outdoor Media's Billboard Expansion Project
LOS ANGELES, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In a constant effort to create value for its clients, Landmark Dividend , the national leader in ground lease acquisitions, is proud to announce it has closed ... Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
Byline: Landmark day as RNLI takes official responsibility for Cowes lifeboat operations Page Content: Today (Tuesday 1 st July) the Royal National Lifeboat Institution will take over management of the former Cowes Inshore Lifeboat service, following a direct request to the charity from the trustees of the independent lifeboat service. The decision means a landmar Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'
- Landmark viaduct may form part of greenway along disused rail line
The landmark viaduct on the western outskirts of Cork City may form part of one of two major cycling and walking “greenways” to be developed along West Cork’s disused rail lines. Read more on this news related to 'Landmark'