Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Landlord'
n : a landowner who leases to others
- Landlord \Land"lord`\, n. [See Land, and Lord.]
- The lord of a manor, or of land; the owner of land or houses which he leases to a tenant or tenants.
- The master of an inn or of a lodging house. Upon our arrival at the inn, my companion fetched out the jolly landlord. --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Landlord'
Landlord is the owner of a house, apartment, condominium, or real estate which is rented or leased to an individual or business, who is called a tenant (also a lessee or renter). When a juristic person is in this position, the term landlord is used. Other terms include lessor and owner. The term landlady may be used in some jurisdictions for female owners, but landlord can apply to both genders.
See also Tenement.
Landlording may be traced back to the Roman Empire and the manorial system (seignorialism), which began under it — peasants were bound to the land and dependent on their landlords for protection and justice. Under the feudalism such relations became widespread.
The two parties step into relationship under the law of real estate property by signing a contract called lease. With this contract the one party, which has superior title to the property, ie the landlord, grants possession and use of it for a limited period to the other party, ie the tenant. The landlord may not be the actual owner of the property but keeping in some way the right to sub-lease.[See more about Landlord at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Landlord'
'Landlord' in famous quotation sentence
* If a man harbors any sort of fear, it ... makes him landlord to a ghost. - Lloyd Douglas
Click here for more related quotations on 'Landlord'
Landlord Sample Sentences in News
- Justice Court Docket: What tenants can do when the landlord doesn't
The Arizona Residential Landlord Tenant Act (the Act) requires that landlords repair and maintain their rental property so it is in a fit and habitable condition, but what can a tenant do if the landlord fails to meet their responsibility? read more Read more on this news related to 'Landlord'
- German Landlord Said to Face Dissent in CEO Investor Vote
GSW Immobilien AG, Berlin’s largest residential landlord by market value, will be opposed by some shareholders today in a vote over how it handled the hiring of its chief executive officer, according to five of the investors. Read more on this news related to 'Landlord'
- Barrie man arrested twice in one night over fight with landlord
A dispute between a landlord and her tenant resulted in a 48-year-old man being arrested twice early Sunday morning. Read more on this news related to 'Landlord'