Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ladle'
Ladle Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a spoon-shaped vessel with a long handle; used to transfer
- put (a liquid) into a container by means of a ladle; "ladle soup into the bowl"
- remove with or as if with a ladle; "ladle the water out of the bowl" [syn: lade, laden]
- Ladle \La"dle\, n. [AS. hl[ae]del, fr. hladan to load, drain.
See Lade, v. t.]
- A cuplike spoon, often of large size, with a long handle, used in lading or dipping. When the materials of glass have been kept long in fusion, the mixture casts up the superfluous salt, which the workmen take off with ladles. --Boyle.
- (Founding) A vessel to carry liquid metal from the furnace to the mold.
- The float of a mill wheel; -- called also ladle board.
- (Gun.) (a) An instrument for drawing the charge of a cannon. (b) A ring, with a handle or handles fitted to it, for carrying shot. Ladle wood (Bot.), the wood of a South African tree (Cassine Colpoon), used for carving.
- Ladle \La"dle\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ladled; p. pr. & vb. n.
To take up and convey in a ladle; to dip with, or as with, a
ladle; as, to ladle out soup; to ladle oatmeal into a kettle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ladle'
- Ladle: Ladle may refer to: Ladle (spoon), a serving device, typically for soup. Ladle (metallurgy), a foundry ladle used to carry and pour molten ...
- Ladle (spoon): A ladle is a type of spoon used to scoop up and serve soup , lasagne , or other foods. Although designs vary, a typical ladle has a long ...
- Ladle (foundry): In a foundry , a ladle is a vessel used to transport and pour out molten metals. Ladles range in size from small hand carried vessels that ...
- Ladle Hill: Ladle Hill is near the village of Burghclere and Watership Down , in north Hampshire . It is immediately to the East of Beacon Hill . ...
- Ladle Rat Rotten Hut: Ladle Rat Rotten Hut is the story of Little Red Riding Hood written using English words, but never the correct ones, in the genre called ...
- Ladle Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador: In the early years on Ladle Cove the settlers fished for cod in Ladle Cove or on Peckford and Wadham Islands, and the cod was sold to Fogo ...
- Betty Ladler: Mary 'Betty' Newmarsh Woolcock née Ladler (1914-2004) was an English artist and illustrator, most notable for her illustrations in books ...
Words and phrases related to 'Ladle'
Ladle Sample Sentences in News
- Help choose the Silver Ladle Trophy in soup-tasting competition
Bragging rights and the coveted Silver Ladle Trophy will once again be up for grabs at Community Centre 55’s (CC55) annual soup-tasting competition. The event is set for Thursday, Feb. 27 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at CC55, 97 Main St. at Swanwick Avenue. Read more on this news related to 'Ladle'
- Opening arguments to begin in death penalty case against Montour
Edward Montour spent four years on death row for attacking corrections officer Eric Autobee from behind and beating him to death with a soup ladle in a prison kitchen. Read more on this news related to 'Ladle'
- Accident in Newport steel plant leaves 1 dead
NEWPORT — One man is dead after an accident at a Newport steel plant where a ladle of liquid steel apparently spilled on him in the facility's melt shop. Read more on this news related to 'Ladle'