Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Knead'
- make uniform; "knead dough"; "work the clay until it is soft" [syn: work]
- manually manipulate (someone's body), usually for medicinal or relaxation purposes; "She rubbed down her child with a sponge" [syn: massage, rub down]
- Knead \Knead\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kneaded; p. pr. & vb. n.
Kneading.] [OE. kneden, As. cnedan; akin to D. kneden, G.
kneten, Sw. kn?da, Icel. kno?a; cf. OSlav. gnesti.]
- To work and press into a mass, usually with the hands; esp., to work, as by repeated pressure with the knuckles, into a well mixed mass, as the materials of bread, cake, etc.; as, to knead dough. The kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven, and the baking. --Shak.
- Fig.: To treat or form as by kneading; to beat. I will knead him : I'll make him supple. --Shak. Kneading trough, a trough or tray in which dough is kneaded. --Ex. viii. 3.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Knead'
Kneading is a process in the making of bread or pasta dough, used to mix together the ingredients and add strength to the final product. Its importance lies in the mixing of flour with water. When these two ingredients are combined and kneaded, the gliadin and glutenin proteins in the flour expand and form strands of gluten, which gives bread its texture. (To aid gluten production, many recipes use bread flour, which is higher in protein than all-purpose flour.) The kneading process warms and stretches these gluten strands, eventually creating a springy and elastic dough. If bread dough is not kneaded enough, it will not be able to hold the tiny pockets of gas (CO2) created by the leavening agent (such as yeast or baking powder), and will collapse, leaving a heavy and dense loaf.
Kneading can be performed with a breadmaker, a mixer equipped with a dough hook, or by hand. The dough is put on a floured surface, pressed and stretched with the heel of the hand, folded over, and rotated through 90º repeatedly. This process continues until the dough is elastic and smooth. The dough can then be allowed to rise or "proof" (also called "proving").[See more about Knead at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Knead'
Knead Sample Sentences in News
- Check out this healthy, easy, no-knead bread anyone can make
No-Knead Walnut-Rosemary Bread is Sara Moulton’s take on a recipe developed by Jim Lehey, founder of the Sullivan Street Baker in New York. She added her own touches to Lehey’s basic formula, adding extra whole-wheat flour, toasted walnuts and rosemary. Read more on this news related to 'Knead'
- Healthy, no-knead bread anyone can make
It may take some time waiting for the dough to rise, but this easy, no-knead walnut rosemary bread, shown here with blueberry jam, is totally worth it. Read more on this news related to 'Knead'
- No-knead walnut rosemary bread (recipe)
The legendary Jim Lahey, founder of Sullivan Street Bakery in New York, is the man behind a sensational recipe for no-knead, slow-rise, no-fuss bread. Read more on this news related to 'Knead'