Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Kick'
- the act of delivering a blow with the foot; "he gave the ball a powerful kick"; "the team's kicking was excellent" [syn: boot, kicking]
- the swift release of a store of affective force; "they got a great bang out of it"; "what a boot!"; "he got a quick rush from injecting heroin"; "he does it for kicks" [syn: bang, boot, charge, rush, flush, thrill]
- the backward jerk of a gun when it is fired [syn: recoil]
- informal terms for objecting; "I have a gripe about the service here" [syn: gripe, beef, bitch, squawk]
- the sudden stimulation provided by strong drink (or certain drugs); "a sidecar is a smooth drink but it has a powerful kick"
- a rhythmic thrusting movement of the legs as in swimming or calisthenics; "the kick must be synchronized with the arm movements"; "the swimmer's kicking left a wake behind him" [syn: kicking] v
- drive or propel with the foot
- thrash about or strike out with the feet
- strike with the foot; "The boy kicked the dog"; "Kick the door down"
- kick a leg up
- spring back, as from a forceful thrust; "The gun kicked back into my shoulder" [syn: kick back, recoil]
- stop consuming; "kick a habit"
- make a goal; "He kicked the extra point after touchdown"
- express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness; "My mother complains all day"; "She has a lot to kick about" [syn: complain, plain, sound off, quetch, kvetch] [ant: cheer]
- Kick \Kick\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kicred; p. pr. & vb. n.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Kick'
In martial arts, combat sports, and violence, a kick is a physical strike using the foot, leg, or knee (the latter is also known as a knee strike). This attack is often used in hand-to-hand combat, especially in stand-up fighting. Kicks play a significant role in many forms of martial arts, such as Taekwondo, Karate, Kung fu, Vovinam, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Silat, and Kalarippayattu.
Although it has a wide variety of executions, the front kick is considered the most basic kick. Delivering a front kick involves raising the knee and foot of the striking leg to the desired point-of-impact and extending the leg to contact the target. The actual strike is usually delivered by the ball of the foot. Taekwondo practitioners utilize both the heel and ball of the foot for striking. Various combat systems teach 'general' front kick using the heel or whole foot when footwear is on. Depending of fighter's tactical needs, a front kick may involve more or less body motion. Thrusting one's hip forward in a short, powerful rotating motion is a common method of increasing both reach and power of the kick. The front kick is typically executed with the upper body straight and balanced. Front kicks are typically aimed at targets below the chest: abdomen, thighs, knees or lower. Highly skilled martial artists are often capable of striking head-level targets with front kick.[See more about Kick at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Kick'
'Kick' in famous quotation sentence
* Happy If I saw myself dressed like that, I'd have to kick my own ass. - Happy Gilmore
* Carter My daddy'll kick your daddy's ass all the way from here to China, Japan, wherever the hell you from and all up that Great Wall too. - Rush Hour
Click here for more related quotations on 'Kick'
Kick Sample Sentences in News
- Bengals re-sign kick returner Tate
The Cincinnati Bengals re-signed kick returner Brandon Tate, the team announced on its official Twitter page Tuesday. He was Cincinnati's top kick return option and ended up serving as the punt return specialist once injuries forced the Bengals to keep cornerback Adam Jones off special teams. "We're glad to get back one of our core special teams playe Read more on this news related to 'Kick'
- Kick Off: San Jose Earthquakes gear up for CONCACAF Champions League duel with Toluca
The CONCACAF Champions League returned last night, complete with a new sponsor, and Panamanian club Árabe Unido earned a 0-0 road tie against Costa Rican power Alajuelense in the first leg of the only quarterfinal that does not feature a US vs. Mexico matchup. Those pairings kick off tonight, as the San Jose Earthquakes host Toluca (10 pm ET, FOX Sports 2, Univis Read more on this news related to 'Kick'
- Kick Start Your Spring Style!
Every good wardrobe starts with shoes! For Spring shoes, try pointy flats, slingback mules, strappy heels with laces and modern heels in chunky wood styles. "It's all about shoe details this season," says Kate Dimmock, fashion director, People StyleWatch. "You will get so much wear out of it by summer, so it's a great investment." (Chec Read more on this news related to 'Kick'