Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Kick'
- the act of delivering a blow with the foot; "he gave the ball a powerful kick"; "the team's kicking was excellent" [syn: boot, kicking]
- the swift release of a store of affective force; "they got a great bang out of it"; "what a boot!"; "he got a quick rush from injecting heroin"; "he does it for kicks" [syn: bang, boot, charge, rush, flush, thrill]
- the backward jerk of a gun when it is fired [syn: recoil]
- informal terms for objecting; "I have a gripe about the service here" [syn: gripe, beef, bitch, squawk]
- the sudden stimulation provided by strong drink (or certain drugs); "a sidecar is a smooth drink but it has a powerful kick"
- a rhythmic thrusting movement of the legs as in swimming or calisthenics; "the kick must be synchronized with the arm movements"; "the swimmer's kicking left a wake behind him" [syn: kicking] v
- drive or propel with the foot
- thrash about or strike out with the feet
- strike with the foot; "The boy kicked the dog"; "Kick the door down"
- kick a leg up
- spring back, as from a forceful thrust; "The gun kicked back into my shoulder" [syn: kick back, recoil]
- stop consuming; "kick a habit"
- make a goal; "He kicked the extra point after touchdown"
- express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness; "My mother complains all day"; "She has a lot to kick about" [syn: complain, plain, sound off, quetch, kvetch] [ant: cheer]
- Kick \Kick\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kicred; p. pr. & vb. n.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Kick'
In martial arts, combat sports, and violence, a kick is a physical strike using the foot, leg, or knee (the latter is also known as a knee strike). This attack is often used in hand-to-hand combat, especially in stand-up fighting. Kicks play a significant role in many forms of martial arts, such as Taekwondo, Karate, Kung fu, Vovinam, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Silat, and Kalarippayattu.
Although it has a wide variety of executions, the front kick is considered the most basic kick. Delivering a front kick involves raising the knee and foot of the striking leg to the desired point-of-impact and extending the leg to contact the target. The actual strike is usually delivered by the ball of the foot. Taekwondo practitioners utilize both the heel and ball of the foot for striking. Various combat systems teach 'general' front kick using the heel or whole foot when footwear is on. Depending of fighter's tactical needs, a front kick may involve more or less body motion. Thrusting one's hip forward in a short, powerful rotating motion is a common method of increasing both reach and power of the kick. The front kick is typically executed with the upper body straight and balanced. Front kicks are typically aimed at targets below the chest: abdomen, thighs, knees or lower. Highly skilled martial artists are often capable of striking head-level targets with front kick.[See more about Kick at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Kick'
'Kick' in famous quotation sentence
* Happy If I saw myself dressed like that, I'd have to kick my own ass. - Happy Gilmore
* Carter My daddy'll kick your daddy's ass all the way from here to China, Japan, wherever the hell you from and all up that Great Wall too. - Rush Hour
Click here for more related quotations on 'Kick'
Kick Sample Sentences in News
- Ex-New York Red Bull Rafa Marquez sees red in Copa Libertadores after flying karate kick | SIDELINE
The flying karate kick has long been part of Rafa Márquez's repertoire, and it made another ill-fated appearance in Copa Libertadores play on Tuesday. With Club León tied 3-3 on aggregate against Bolivian side Bolivar but trailing on away goals in the second leg of a Round of 16 matchup, Márquez went up for a header with a little more than 10 minutes left i Read more on this news related to 'Kick'
- Kick for a mark may be extended to 20 metres
The possibility of extending the minimum marking distance for a kick to 20 metres has been tentatively raised at a meeting of the AFL's laws of the game committee. Read more on this news related to 'Kick'
- Kick Off: A playoff rematch, Champions League final & Canadian Championship kicks off
However, RBNY coach Mike Petke isn't using that game as inspiration. The Dynamo have their own injury issue, as Brad Davis is once again questionable. How will the New York Yankees and New York City FC co-exist in the same stadium in 2015? And head coach Jason Kreis provided some details on his squad-building, revealing that it's "not a foregone con Read more on this news related to 'Kick'