Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Jungle'
- an impenetrable equatorial forest
- a location marked by an intense competition and struggle for survival
- a place where hoboes camp [syn: hobo camp]
- Jungle \Jun"gle\, n. [Hind. jangal desert, forest, jungle; Skr.
A dense growth of brushwood, grasses, reeds, vines, etc.; an
almost impenetrable thicket of trees, canes, and reedy
vegetation, as in India, Africa, Australia, and Brazil.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Jungle'
Jungle or Tropical forest (Sanskrit: जंगल) refers to the dense, more or less impenetrable tropical rainforest biome with an abundance of animal and plant life. The term jungle is technically a synonym to Tropical Rainforest. The word jungle originates from the Sanskrit word jangala (जंगल) which referred to uncultivated land. Although the Sanskrit word refers to "dry land", it has been suggested that an Anglo-Indian interpretation led to its connotation as a dense "tangled thicket".
About 10% of the Earth's land mass consists of the ecosystems that could qualify as jungle under the common usage of the word. 57% of all known terrestrial species live in jungle environments.
As a forest biome, jungles are present in both equatorial and tropical climatic zones, and are associated with preclimax stages of the rainforest. In another technical context, jungle is distinguished from the ocean in that the former is a profuse thicket of tropical shrubs, vines, and small trees growing in areas outside the light-blocking canopy of a tropical rainforest. Hence, jungles are often found at the edges of climax rain-forests, where human activity may increase sunlight penetration.[See more about Jungle at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Jungle'
'Jungle' in famous quotation sentence
* If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth in your underwear, don't stop and start thinking of what other words have 'under' in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* It's just human. We all have the jungle inside of us. We all have wants and needs and desires, strange as they may seem. If you stop to think about it, we're all pretty creative, cooking up all these fantasies. it's like a kind of poetry. - Andrew Schneider
Click here for more related quotations on 'Jungle'
Jungle Sample Sentences in News
- Rum Jungle Resources (ASX:RUM) Ammaroo Phosphate Assays Received
Perth, Australia, Mar 10, 2014 - (ABN Newswire) - Rum Jungle Resources (ASX:RUM) confirm that assays have now been received for the last of 2013 Ammaroo East drilling. All data have been forwarded to MPR ... Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'
- Ron Howard to direct 'The Jungle Book' for Warner Bros
Not one but two "Jungle Book" remakes are on the way, with Ron Howard now signed on to direct Warner Bros' live-action version of the Rudyard Kipling classic. Well known for directing "Rush," "J. Edgar," "Frost/Nixon" and "A Beautiful Mind," Howard also helmed the first two Dan Brown movies, with "Inferno& Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'
- ‘The Amazing Race’ season 24, episode 3 recap: Falling apart
The Amazing Race season 24, episode 3, “Welcome to the Jungle,” just finished airing! Read our recap to find out which all-star team got eliminated, and discuss the events with other fans. Here are the highlights from The Amazing Race … Continue reading → The post ‘The Amazing Race’ season 24, episode 3 recap: Falling apart appeared first on Hypable . Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'