Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Isle'
Isle Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a small island [syn: islet]
- Isle \Isle\, n. [Obs.]
- Isle \Isle\, n. [OF. isle, F. [^i]le, L. insula; cf. Lith. sala.
- An island. [Poetic] Imperial rule of all the seagirt isles. --Milton.
- (Zo["o]l.) A spot within another of a different color, as upon the wings of some insects.
- Isle \Isle\, v. t.
To cause to become an island, or like an island; to surround
or encompass; to island. [Poetic]
Isled in sudden seas of light. --Tennyson.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Isle'
- Isle: Isle may refer to: Isle, Haute-Vienne , a commune of the Haute-Vienne département in France. Isle, Minnesota , a small city in the United ...
- Isle (river): The Isle (Eila) is a 255 km long river in south-western France , right tributary of the Dordogne . Its source is in the north-western ...
- Isles class trawler: The Isles class trawlers were a class of naval trawler used by the Royal Navy , Royal Canadian Navy and Royal New Zealand Navy during ...
- Isle, Minnesota: Isle is a city in Mille Lacs County , Minnesota , United States . The population was 707 at the 2000 census. Its name in the Ojibwe ...
- River Isle: The River Isle (also known as the River Ile) flows from its source near Ilminster , through Somerset a and discharges into the River ...
- Isle, Haute-Vienne: Isle (Isla) is a commune in the Haute-Vienne department in the Limousin region in west-central France . Isle is the fourth commune of ...
- British Isles: The British Isles are a group of island s off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include the islands of Great Britain and ...
- Isle of Man: The Isle of Man. (icon | ˈ | m | æ | n; Ellan Vannin Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland , within the British Isles . ...
- Isle of Wight: The Isle of Wight is a county and the largest island of England , located in the English Channel , 3–5 miles (5–8 km) off the south coast ...
Words and phrases related to 'Isle'
Isle Sample Sentences in News
- Officials showing off revitalization efforts under way at Belle Isle
Partnerships will be key in revitalizing Belle Isle, an island that 'belongs to the people of Detroit,' state and city officials stressed today. Officials heading up efforts to reinvigorate the island are touting and encouraging collaboration in advance of its Feb. 10 opening as a state park. Read more on this news related to 'Isle'
- Event Tuesday to launch Belle Isle revival campaign
The next chapter in Belle Isle's long history kicks off Tuesday, when state officials host groups dedicated to restoring the island park to its former majesty. Read more on this news related to 'Isle'
- Revenue granted access to Irish residents’ Isle of Man accounts
Supreme Court order will affect 140 former National Irish Bank customers Read more on this news related to 'Isle'