Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Intervene Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- get involved, so as to alter or hinder an action, or through force or threat of force; "Why did the U.S. not intervene earlier in WW II?" [syn: step in, interfere, interpose]
- be placed or located between other things or extend between spaces and events; "This interludes intervenes between the two movements"; "Eight days intervened"
- occur between other event or between certain points of time; "the war intervened between the birth of her two children"
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Intervened; p.
pr. & vb. n. Intervening.] [L. intervenire, interventum, to
intervene, to hinder; inter between + venire to come; akin to
E. come: cf. F. intervenir. See Come.]
- To come between, or to be between, persons or things; -- followed by between; as, the Mediterranean intervenes between Europe and Africa.
- To occur, fall, or come between, points of time, or events; as, an instant intervened between the flash and the report; nothing intervened ( i. e., between the intention and the execution) to prevent the undertaking.
- To interpose; as, to intervene to settle a quarrel.
- In a suit to which one has not been made a party, to put forward a defense of one's interest in the subject matter. --Abbott.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. t.
To come between. [R.]
Self-sown woodlands of birch, alder, etc., intervening
the different estates. --De Quincey.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, n.
A coming between; intervention; meeting. [Obs.] --Sir H.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Words and phrases related to 'Intervene'
Intervene Sample Sentences in News
- Bahraini minister tried to intervene in UK bribery case, court hears
By Estelle Shirbon LONDON (Reuters) - A deputy prime minister of Bahrain sought to intervene in a British bribery prosecution by writing to the head of the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and to the British government's legal adviser, a London court heard on Thursday. Lawyers said Jawad bin Salem al-Urayed wrote about the case of Victor Dahdaleh, a businessman accu Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- Lebanese intervene on behalf on captured nuns
BEIRUT, Lebanon, Dec. 7 (UPI) -- Lebanon's security chief is seeking the help of Qatar in securing the release of a group of nuns who some say have been taken hostage in Syria. Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- Soccer-FIFA "unable to intervene" in Belounis case
Soccer's governing body FIFA has said that it cannot intervene in the case of French footballer Zahir Belounis, who says he is trapped in Qatar because he cannot obtain an exit visa following a dispute with his club. "FIFA is unable to intervene in this matter given that Mr. Belounis chose the option of contacting an ordinary court in Qatar instead of the Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'