Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Intervene Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- get involved, so as to alter or hinder an action, or through force or threat of force; "Why did the U.S. not intervene earlier in WW II?" [syn: step in, interfere, interpose]
- be placed or located between other things or extend between spaces and events; "This interludes intervenes between the two movements"; "Eight days intervened"
- occur between other event or between certain points of time; "the war intervened between the birth of her two children"
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Intervened; p.
pr. & vb. n. Intervening.] [L. intervenire, interventum, to
intervene, to hinder; inter between + venire to come; akin to
E. come: cf. F. intervenir. See Come.]
- To come between, or to be between, persons or things; -- followed by between; as, the Mediterranean intervenes between Europe and Africa.
- To occur, fall, or come between, points of time, or events; as, an instant intervened between the flash and the report; nothing intervened ( i. e., between the intention and the execution) to prevent the undertaking.
- To interpose; as, to intervene to settle a quarrel.
- In a suit to which one has not been made a party, to put forward a defense of one's interest in the subject matter. --Abbott.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. t.
To come between. [R.]
Self-sown woodlands of birch, alder, etc., intervening
the different estates. --De Quincey.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, n.
A coming between; intervention; meeting. [Obs.] --Sir H.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Words and phrases related to 'Intervene'
Intervene Sample Sentences in News
- Environmental groups file to intervene in Sunoco Pipeline case
Four environmental advocacy groups filed to intervene formally in Sunoco Pipeline L.P.'s application for public utility corporation status, which would exempt its 299-mile Mariner East pipeline to Marcus Hook from local zoning codes. Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- Gay rights group seeks to expand marriage case
A gay rights group wants to intervene in a court case that’s being appealed, hoping to persuade a federal court to overturn Ohio’s gay marriage ban and allow same-sex couples to wed in the state. Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- Idaho dairy org asks to join in farm video lawsuit
The Idaho Dairymen's Association is asking a federal judge to allow the industry group to intervene in a lawsuit against a new law that makes it illegal to secretly film animal abuse at agricultural facilities. ... Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'