Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Intervene Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- get involved, so as to alter or hinder an action, or through force or threat of force; "Why did the U.S. not intervene earlier in WW II?" [syn: step in, interfere, interpose]
- be placed or located between other things or extend between spaces and events; "This interludes intervenes between the two movements"; "Eight days intervened"
- occur between other event or between certain points of time; "the war intervened between the birth of her two children"
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Intervened; p.
pr. & vb. n. Intervening.] [L. intervenire, interventum, to
intervene, to hinder; inter between + venire to come; akin to
E. come: cf. F. intervenir. See Come.]
- To come between, or to be between, persons or things; -- followed by between; as, the Mediterranean intervenes between Europe and Africa.
- To occur, fall, or come between, points of time, or events; as, an instant intervened between the flash and the report; nothing intervened ( i. e., between the intention and the execution) to prevent the undertaking.
- To interpose; as, to intervene to settle a quarrel.
- In a suit to which one has not been made a party, to put forward a defense of one's interest in the subject matter. --Abbott.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, v. t.
To come between. [R.]
Self-sown woodlands of birch, alder, etc., intervening
the different estates. --De Quincey.
- Intervene \In`ter*vene"\, n.
A coming between; intervention; meeting. [Obs.] --Sir H.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intervene'
Words and phrases related to 'Intervene'
Intervene Sample Sentences in News
- Iran asks UN chief to intervene in envoy row
Iran on Monday urged United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to intervene directly in a row sparked by America's refusal to give Tehran's chosen UN envoy a visa. The spat over Hamid Aboutalebi has undermined a cautious thaw in relations after decades of enmity following the storming of the US embassy in 1979 and the subsequent hostage crisis. "We Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- Clyde Jackman staying out of Mount Pearl school dispute
Education Minister Clyde Jackman is refusing to intervene in a controversial reorganization of several schools in Mount Pearl, even though his cabinet colleague Steve Kent has already spoken out about it. Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'
- GOP Can Intervene In Voter ID Lawsuit, Judge Rules
LITTLE ROCK — The state Republican Party can intervene in a lawsuit over how absentee ballots should be handled under the state’s new voter ID law, a Pulaski County circuit judge ruled Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Intervene'