Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intermittent'
- stopping and starting at irregular intervals; "intermittent rain showers"
- stopping and starting at regular intervals
- Intermittent \In`ter*mit"tent\, a. [L. intermittens, -entis, p.
pr. of intermittere: cf. F. intermittent.]
Coming and going at intervals; alternating; recurrent;
periodic; as, an intermittent fever. --Boyle.
Intermittent fever (Med.), a disease with fever which
recurs at certain intervals; -- applied particularly to
fever and ague. See Fever.
Intermittent gearing (Mach.), gearing which receives, or
produces, intermittent motion.
Intermittent springs, springs which flow at intervals, not
apparently dependent upon rain or drought. They probably
owe their intermittent action to their being connected
with natural reservoirs in hills or mountains by passages
having the form of a siphon, the water beginning to flow
when it has accumulated so as to fill the upper part of
the siphon, and ceasing when, by running through it, it
has fallen below the orifice of the upper part of the
siphon in the reservoir.
- Intermittent \In`ter*mit"tent\, n. (Med.)
An intermittent fever or disease. --Dunglison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intermittent'
In dynamical systems, intermittency is the alternation of phases of apparently periodic and chaotic dynamics.
In the apparently periodic phases the behaviour is not quite, but only nearly periodic. Thus, rather than a (truly periodic) series of values such as 2, 4, 2, 4, ... one might have something like 2.0001, 4.0003, 2.0002, 4.0001, 2.0003, 3.9999, 1.8715, 6.7486, ... where the first six values are apparently periodic but where the actually chaotic nature of the system becomes apparent after the value 3.9999 is reached.
Intermittency factor is the fraction of time that motion is turbulent, denoted μ.
In technology, in particular electronics, an intermittent fault, sometimes called just an "intermittent", is one that does not manifest continuously. These faults are particularly difficult to detect, as they may occur at times when a system is in use, but not when attempts are made to repair it.[See more about Intermittent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Intermittent'
Intermittent Sample Sentences in News
- Intermittent rains bring back chill in valley
Srinagar, Mar 9 (PTI) After two days of bright sunshine, intermittent rains across Kashmir brought the chilly conditions back in the valley today. Read more on this news related to 'Intermittent'
- Intermittent street closures and parking restrictions during Lemoyne sewer line project
Don’t have an account? Congratulations! Your weather is set to . You can change the location at any time. Read more on this news related to 'Intermittent'
- Road Watch: A Guide to Closings & Construction
1. State Road 17 at Palm Street (Frostproof): Expect intermittent southbound lane closures from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. while crews build a driveway entrance and sidewalk along the southbound lanes. Read more on this news related to 'Intermittent'