Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
- an abrupt emphatic exclamation expressing emotion [syn: ejaculation]
- the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that interrupts [syn: interposition, interpolation, interpellation]
- Interjection \In`ter*jec"tion\, n. [L. interjectio: cf. F.
interjection. See Interject.]
- The act of interjecting or throwing between; also, that which is interjected. The interjection of laughing. --Bacon.
- (Gram.) A word or form of speech thrown in to express emotion or feeling, as O! Alas! Ha ha! Begone! etc. Compare Exclamation. An interjection implies a meaning which it would require a whole grammatical sentence to expound, and it may be regarded as the rudiment of such a sentence. But it is a confusion of thought to rank it among the parts of speech. --Earle. How now! interjections? Why, then, some be of laughing, as, ah, ha, he! --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used to express an isolated emotion on the part of the speaker (although most interjections have clear definitions). Filled pauses such as uh, er, um, are also considered interjections. Interjections are typically placed at the beginning of a sentence or in a sentence by themselves.
The word "interjection" literally means "thrown in between" from the Latin inter ("between") and iacere ("throw"). Interjections are generally uninflected function words and have sometimes been seen as sentence-words, because they can replace or be replaced by a whole sentence (they are holophrastic). Sometimes, however, interjections combine with other words to form sentences, but not with finite verbs. When an exclamation point is not needed, a comma can take the place.[See more about Interjection at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interjection'
Interjection Sample Sentences in News
- Houston Dynamo hope recent win signals attitude change, competition on team taking root
HOUSTON – The Houston Dynamo have been waiting for a performance like Sunday’s for over two months. Buoyed by an interjection of energy from newcomers DaMarcus Beasley and Luis Garrido , the Dynamo were cohesive, sharp, tough and sound on both sides of the ball. Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'
- Annie Dear: TV's rude debaters deserve a knuckle rap
I was never a promising athlete at school, but the Dear gift of the gab apparently throbbed in my veins, and eschewing softball and netball, I went for drama and debating.It must have been my training at my very proper girls’ school however, that I can safely say I always allowed my opponents in debate to have their say without the interjection of my own opinion Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'