Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
- an abrupt emphatic exclamation expressing emotion [syn: ejaculation]
- the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that interrupts [syn: interposition, interpolation, interpellation]
- Interjection \In`ter*jec"tion\, n. [L. interjectio: cf. F.
interjection. See Interject.]
- The act of interjecting or throwing between; also, that which is interjected. The interjection of laughing. --Bacon.
- (Gram.) A word or form of speech thrown in to express emotion or feeling, as O! Alas! Ha ha! Begone! etc. Compare Exclamation. An interjection implies a meaning which it would require a whole grammatical sentence to expound, and it may be regarded as the rudiment of such a sentence. But it is a confusion of thought to rank it among the parts of speech. --Earle. How now! interjections? Why, then, some be of laughing, as, ah, ha, he! --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used to express an isolated emotion on the part of the speaker (although most interjections have clear definitions). Filled pauses such as uh, er, um, are also considered interjections. Interjections are typically placed at the beginning of a sentence or in a sentence by themselves.
The word "interjection" literally means "thrown in between" from the Latin inter ("between") and iacere ("throw"). Interjections are generally uninflected function words and have sometimes been seen as sentence-words, because they can replace or be replaced by a whole sentence (they are holophrastic). Sometimes, however, interjections combine with other words to form sentences, but not with finite verbs. When an exclamation point is not needed, a comma can take the place.[See more about Interjection at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interjection'
Interjection Sample Sentences in News
- Ryan Harris eyes 100th Test wicket
Question had not even been completed when it was met by an interjection from Ryan Harris. Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'
- Money became the most important thing in life and the love for bathrooms second.
Shit! That was the only interjection that could convey how I felt when I found myself living on the street in my car. It is amazing how menial divorces, deaths, loss of jobs, family disputes, and all other unpleasant events seemed when faced with survival. My world view changed — forever. Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'
- Praising Olympians, admonishing politicians
Perhaps I am getting a bit upset at the national media talking heads and the interjection of their personalities into whatever subject is on the agenda. Sporting events are particularly bad. Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'