Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
- an abrupt emphatic exclamation expressing emotion [syn: ejaculation]
- the action of interjecting or interposing an action or remark that interrupts [syn: interposition, interpolation, interpellation]
- Interjection \In`ter*jec"tion\, n. [L. interjectio: cf. F.
interjection. See Interject.]
- The act of interjecting or throwing between; also, that which is interjected. The interjection of laughing. --Bacon.
- (Gram.) A word or form of speech thrown in to express emotion or feeling, as O! Alas! Ha ha! Begone! etc. Compare Exclamation. An interjection implies a meaning which it would require a whole grammatical sentence to expound, and it may be regarded as the rudiment of such a sentence. But it is a confusion of thought to rank it among the parts of speech. --Earle. How now! interjections? Why, then, some be of laughing, as, ah, ha, he! --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interjection'
In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used to express an isolated emotion on the part of the speaker (although most interjections have clear definitions). Filled pauses such as uh, er, um, are also considered interjections. Interjections are typically placed at the beginning of a sentence or in a sentence by themselves.
The word "interjection" literally means "thrown in between" from the Latin inter ("between") and iacere ("throw"). Interjections are generally uninflected function words and have sometimes been seen as sentence-words, because they can replace or be replaced by a whole sentence (they are holophrastic). Sometimes, however, interjections combine with other words to form sentences, but not with finite verbs. When an exclamation point is not needed, a comma can take the place.[See more about Interjection at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interjection'
Interjection Sample Sentences in News
- Six-Year Legal Battle Over Kenneth Lonergan's 'Margaret' Finally Ends (Exclusive)
After a heated fight that included Martin Scorsese's interjection and an attempted Twitter campaign by many film critics, a lawsuit over a film "masterpiece" is settled after film financier Gary Gilbert takes the witness stand at trial. read more Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'
- Jenny McCarthy Steals Barbara Walters’ Co-Host Reunion Thunder With Engagement News (Video)
Yo Barbara Walters, I'm really happy for you and I'm gonna let you finish, but Jenny McCarthy is getting engaged! “The View” doyenne's announcement that all 11 current and former co-hosts would reunite for her farewell show was usurped by McCarthy's sudden interjection that she was getting engaged to “Blue Bloods” star and NKOTB singer Donn Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'
- BNP's Nick Griffin 'Saved Britain from Going to War in Syria'
British National Party leader Nick Griffin "literally prevented a war" between Britain and Syria, according to a party spokesman. Simon Darby made the seemingly baseless claim as he went head-to-head with BBC Sunday Politics presenter Andrew Neil. Griffin's interjection almost caused the case to collapse but when Neil asked Darby why Griffin refused Read more on this news related to 'Interjection'