Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intellectual'
- of or relating to the intellect; "his intellectual career"
- of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man" [syn: rational, noetic]
- appealing to or using the intellect; "satire is an intellectual weapon"; "intellectual workers engaged in creative literary or artistic or scientific labor"; "has tremendous intellectual sympathy for oppressed people"; "coldly intellectual"; "sort of the intellectual type"; "intellectual literature" [ant: nonintellectual]
- involving intelligence rather than emotions or instinct; "a cerebral approach to the problem"; "cerebral drama" [syn: cerebral] [ant: emotional] n : a person who uses the mind creatively [syn: intellect]
- Intellectual \In`tel*lec"tu*al\, n.
The intellect or understanding; mental powers or faculties.
Her husband, for I view far round, not nigh, Whose
higher intellectual more I shun. --Milton.
I kept her intellectuals in a state of exercise. --De
- Intellectual \In`tel*lec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a. [L. intellectualis:
cf. F. intellectuel.]
- Belonging to, or performed by, the intellect; mental; as, intellectual powers, activities, etc. Logic is to teach us the right use of our reason or intellectual powers. --I. Watts.
- Endowed with intellect; having the power of understanding; having capacity for the higher forms of knowledge or thought; characterized by intelligence or mental capacity; as, an intellectual person. Who would lose, Though full of pain, this intellectual being, Those thoughts that wander through eternity? --Milton.
- Suitable for exercising the intellect; formed by, and existing for, the intellect alone; perceived by the intellect; as, intellectual employments.
- Relating to the understanding; treating of the mind; as, intellectual philosophy, sometimes called ``mental'' philosophy.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intellectual'
An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical reasoning in either a professional or a personal capacity.
‘Intellectual’ can denote three types of persons:
In English ‘intellectual’ conveys the general notion of a literate thinker; its earlier usage, such as in The Evolution of an Intellectual (1920), by John Middleton Murry, connotes little in the way of ‘public’ rather than ‘literary’ activity.
The term ‘Man of Letters’ (‘belletrist’, from the French belles-lettres), has been used in some Western cultures to denote contemporary intellectual men; the term rarely denotes ‘scholars’, and is not synonymous with ‘academic’.[See more about Intellectual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Intellectual'
'Intellectual' in famous quotation sentence
* What I must do is all that concerns me. This rule, equally arduous in actual and intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is harder because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* The bitterest tragic element in life to be derived from an intellectual source is the belief in a brute Fate or Destiny. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Intellectual'
Intellectual Sample Sentences in News
- Patent Properties Recognizes Additions to its Board of Directors
Patent Properties, Inc. , an intellectual property company that develops and commercializes its unique portfolio of assets and is creating a disruptive licensing solution for the mass market of patent owners and users, today recognized the addition of four new directors to its Board of Directors. Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'
- New IP Litigation Boutique, Kroub, Silbersher & Kolmykov PLLC, Opens in New York
A new high-end intellectual property boutique law firm, Kroub, Silbersher & Kolmykov PLLC, launched operations today. Located in New York City, and founded by Gaston Kroub, Zac Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'
- Fruits of intellectual property offer golden opportunity
California must continue to reward original creativity by maintaining and strengthening protections for intellectual property. Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'