Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Innocent'
- free from evil or guilt; "an innocent child"; "the principle that one is innocent until proved guilty" [syn: guiltless, clean-handed] [ant: guilty]
- lacking intent or capacity to injure; "an innocent prank" [syn: innocuous]
- free from sin [syn: impeccant, sinless]
- lacking in sophistication or worldliness; "a child's innocent stare"; "his ingenuous explanation that he would not have burned the church if he had not thought the bishop was in it" [syn: ingenuous]
- used of things; lacking sense or awareness; "ignorant hope"; "fine innocent weather" [syn: ignorant] n : a person who lacks knowledge of evil [syn: inexperienced person}]
- Innocent \In"no*cent\, a. [F. innocent, L. innocens, -entis;
pref. in- not + nocens, p. pr. of nocere to harm, hurt. See
- Not harmful; free from that which can injure; innoxious; innocuous; harmless; as, an innocent medicine or remedy. The spear Sung innocent,and spent its force in air. --Pope.
- Morally free from guilt; guiltless; not tainted with sin; pure; upright. To offer up a weak, poor, innocent lamb. --Shak. I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. --Matt. xxvii. 4. The aidless,innocent lady, his wished prey. --Milton.
- Free from the guilt of a particular crime or offense; as, a man is innocent of the crime charged. Innocent from the great transgression. --Ps. xix. 13.
- Simple; artless; foolish. --Shak.
- Lawful; permitted; as, an innocent trade.
- Not contraband; not subject to forfeiture; as, innocent goods carried to a belligerent nation. Innocent party (Law),a party who has not notice of a fact tainting a litigated transaction with illegality. Syn: Harmless; innoxious; innoffensive; guiltless; spotless; immaculate; pure; unblamable; blameless; faultless; guileless; upright.
- Innocent \In"no*cent\, n.
- An innocent person; one free from, or unacquainted with, guilt or sin. --Shak.
- An unsophisticated person; hence, a child; a simpleton; an
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Innocent'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Innocent'
Innocence is a term used to indicate a general lack of guilt, with respect to any kind of crime, sin, or wrongdoing. In a legal context, innocence refers to the lack of legal guilt of an individual, with respect to a crime.
Innocence can also imply lesser experience in either a relative view to social peers, or by an absolute comparison to a more common normative scale. In contrast to ignorance, it is generally viewed as a positive term, connoting an optimistic view of the world, in particular one where the lack of knowledge stems from a lack of wrongdoing, whereas greater knowledge comes from doing wrong. This connotation may be connected with a popular false etymology explaining "innocent" as meaning "not knowing" (Latin noscere). The actual etymology is from general negation prefix in- and the Latin nocere, "evil" or "guilty".[See more about Innocent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Innocent'
Meaning of the Name 'Innocent'
- Meaning: Innocent
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Innocent' in famous quotation sentence
* Now and then an innocent man is sent to the legislature. - Kin Hubbard
* Justice is always violent to the party offending, for every man is innocent in his own eyes. - Daniel Defoe
Click here for more related quotations on 'Innocent'
Innocent Sample Sentences in News
- Innocent Inc. Announces Letter to Shareholders
Innocent Inc. , a development stage oil and gas drilling and exploration company, is pleased to announce communication from President and CEO Wayne Doss to INCT shareholders. Read more on this news related to 'Innocent'
- Innocent Until Proven Guilty: Just What Does That Mean?
By Richard Freeland – It’s amazing what you can learn about our courts of law simply by watching modern courtroom dramas on television. Read more on this news related to 'Innocent'
- Innocent Inc. Announces New Joint Venture to Explore for Oil and Gas
Innocent Inc. , a development stage oil and gas drilling and exploration company, is pleased to announce that it has signed an exploration agreement with Evergreen Petroleum of Dallas, TX. Read more on this news related to 'Innocent'