Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Inherent'
- existing as an essential constituent or characteristic; "the Ptolemaic system with its built-in concept of periodicity"; "a constitutional inability to tell the truth" [syn: built-in, constitutional, inbuilt, integral]
- present at birth but not necessarily hereditary; acquired during fetal development [syn: congenital, inborn, innate]
- in the nature of something though not readily apparent; "shortcomings inherent in our approach"; "an underlying meaning" [syn: implicit in(p), underlying]
- Inherent \In*her"ent\, a. [L. inhaerens, -entis, p. pr. of
inhaerere: cf. F. inh['e]rent. See Inhere.]
Permanently existing in something; inseparably attached or
connected; naturally pertaining to; innate; inalienable; as,
polarity is an inherent quality of the magnet; the inherent
right of men to life, liberty, and protection. ``A most
inherent baseness.'' --Shak.
The sore disease which seems inherent in civilization.
Syn: Innate; inborn; native; natural; inbred; inwrought;
inseparable; essential; indispensable.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Inherent'
Inherence refers to Empedocles' idea that the qualities of matter come from the relative proportions of each of the four elements entering into a thing. The idea was further developed by Plato and Aristotle.
That Plato accepted (or at least did not reject) Empedocles' claim can be seen in the Timaeus. However, he applied it also to cover the presence of form in matter. The form was an active principle. Matter, on the other hand is passive, being a mere possibility that the forms bring to life.
Aristotle clearly accepted Empedocles' claim , but he rejected Plato's idea of the forms. According to Aristotle, the accidents of a substance are incorporeal beings which are present in it. "By being 'present in a subject' I do not mean present as parts are present in a whole, but being incapable of existence apart from the said subject." (The Categories 1a 24-26)[See more about Inherent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Inherent'
'Inherent' in famous quotation sentence
* The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. - Sir Winston Churchill
* We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable that all men are created equal and independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent and inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Inherent'
Inherent Sample Sentences in News
- 'Inherent Vice' Actress Joins Indie 'Queen of Earth' (Exclusive)
Katherine Waterston will star opposite Elisabeth Moss in Alex Ross Perry's psychological thriller read more Read more on this news related to 'Inherent'
- Dollar Rally Shifting from Schadenfreude to Inherent Fundamentals
Dollar Rally Shifting from Schadenfreude to Inherent Fundamentals Read more on this news related to 'Inherent'
- Chimps are natural-born killers, say scientists
Paris (AFP) - Chimpanzees can be lethally violent to each other but this stems from an inherent streak and not, as some have suggested, from human interference, a study said on Wednesday. Read more on this news related to 'Inherent'