Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Informant'
- a person who supplies information [syn: source]
- someone who sees an event and reports what happened [syn: witness, witnesser]
- Informant \In*form"ant\, n. [L. informans, -antis, p. pr. of
informare. See Inform, v. t.]
- One who, or that which, informs, animates, or vivifies. [Obs.] --Glanvill.
- One who imparts information or instruction.
- One who offers an accusation; an informer. See Informer. [Obs. or R.] It was the last evidence of the kind; the informant was hanged. --Burke.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Informant'
An informant is a person who provides privileged information about a person or organization to an agency. The term is usually used within the law enforcement world, where they are officially known as confidential or criminal informants (CI), and can often refer pejoratively to the supply of information without the consent of the other parties with the intent of malicious, personal or financial gain.
Informants are commonly found in the world of organized crime. By its very nature, organized crime involves many people who are aware of each others guilt, in a variety of illegal activities. Quite frequently, confidential informants (or criminal informants) will provide information in order to obtain lenient treatment for themselves and provide information, over an extended period of time, in return for money or for police to overlook their own criminal activities. Quite often someone will become an informant following their arrest.[See more about Informant at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Informant'
Informant Sample Sentences in News
- Charges: Violent felon turned informant double-crossed FBI, Seattle police
A Top Hat man fresh from prison may be headed back following allegations he betrayed his FBI and Seattle police handlers after going to work as a paid informant. Read more on this news related to 'Informant'
- Informant's name was released before her slaying
By David Gutman A confidential police informant killed in Charleston last week had her name disclosed in court filings about a week before she was killed, although that is not how her alleged killer found out she was an informant, police said. Police say Marlon Dewayne "Ice" Dixon shot and killed Branda Basham, 22, last Saturday because she was working a Read more on this news related to 'Informant'
- How confidential are confidential informants? 13 News Investigates Kanawha County, WV system
A well-known drug dealer arrested. A confidential informant murdered. 13 News investigates if the system is adequately set up to protect those people working with police to keep our communities safe. Read more on this news related to 'Informant'