Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Inclination'
- an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others; "he had an inclination to give up too easily"; "a tendency to be too strict" [syn: disposition, tendency]
- (astronomy) the angle between the plane of the orbit and the plane of the ecliptic stated in degrees [syn: inclination of an orbit}]
- (geometry) the angle formed by the x-axis and a given line (measured counterclockwise from the positive half of the x-axis) [syn: angle of inclination]
- (physics) the angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon [syn: dip, angle of dip, magnetic dip, magnetic inclination]
- that toward which you are inclined to feel a liking; "her inclination is for classical music" [ant: disinclination]
- the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right" [syn: tilt, list, lean, leaning]
- a characteristic likelihood of or natural disposition toward a certain condition or character or effect; "the alkaline inclination of the local waters"; "fabric with a tendency to shrink" [syn: tendency]
- the act of inclining; bending forward; "an inclination of his head indicated his agreement" [syn: inclining]
- Dip \Dip\, n.
- The action of dipping or plunging for a moment into a liquid. ``The dip of oars in unison.'' --Glover.
- Inclination downward; direction below a horizontal line; slope; pitch.
- A liquid, as a sauce or gravy, served at table with a ladle or spoon. [Local, U.S.] --Bartlett.
- A dipped candle. [Colloq.] --Marryat. Dip of the horizon (Astron.), the angular depression of the seen or visible horizon below the true or natural horizon; the angle at the eye of an observer between a horizontal line and a tangent drawn from the eye to the surface of the ocean. Dip of the needle, or Magnetic dip, the angle formed, in a vertical plane, by a freely suspended magnetic needle,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Inclination'
Inclination in general is the angle between a reference plane and another plane or axis of direction.
The inclination is one of the six orbital parameters describing the shape and orientation of a celestial orbit. It is the angular distance of the orbital plane from the plane of reference (usually the primary's equator or the ecliptic), normally stated in degrees.
In the solar system, the inclination of the orbit of a planet is defined as the angle between the plane of the orbit of the planet and the ecliptic — which is the plane containing Earth's orbital path. It could be measured with respect to another plane, such as the Sun's equator or even Jupiter's orbital plane, but the ecliptic is more practical for Earth-bound observers. Most planetary orbits in our solar system have relatively small inclinations, both in relation to each other and to the Sun's equator. There are notable exceptions in the dwarf planets Pluto and Eris, which have inclinations to the ecliptic of 17 degrees and 44 degrees respectively, and the large asteroid Pallas, which is inclined at 34 degrees.[See more about Inclination at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Inclination'
'Inclination' in famous quotation sentence
* A man ought to read just as inclination leads him for what he reads as a task will do him little good. - Samuel Johnson
* Always set high value on spontaneous kindness. He whose inclination prompts him to cultivate your friendship of his own accord will love you more than one whom you have been at pains to attach to you. - Samuel Johnson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Inclination'
Inclination Sample Sentences in News
- Fossil Ridge's Sweet 16 game a perfect representation of special season
My first inclination things would be different Wednesday night came when I pulled into the parking lot. Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'
- Column: Fear of Failure Hampers Economic Growth
American children are having fewer accidents than they once did, and our natural inclination is to cheer the news. Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'
- Call out for entries for the Philippine Science Film Festival
Filmmakers, producers and broadcasters with an inclination toward science may want to take part in the upcoming Science Film Festival, and submit their entry before March 31. The Science Film Festival 2014 will be held internationally from October 13 to December 14, with the theme "Future Technologies," organizers said. "We are very pleased to open Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'