Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Inclination'
- an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others; "he had an inclination to give up too easily"; "a tendency to be too strict" [syn: disposition, tendency]
- (astronomy) the angle between the plane of the orbit and the plane of the ecliptic stated in degrees [syn: inclination of an orbit}]
- (geometry) the angle formed by the x-axis and a given line (measured counterclockwise from the positive half of the x-axis) [syn: angle of inclination]
- (physics) the angle that a magnetic needle makes with the plane of the horizon [syn: dip, angle of dip, magnetic dip, magnetic inclination]
- that toward which you are inclined to feel a liking; "her inclination is for classical music" [ant: disinclination]
- the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right" [syn: tilt, list, lean, leaning]
- a characteristic likelihood of or natural disposition toward a certain condition or character or effect; "the alkaline inclination of the local waters"; "fabric with a tendency to shrink" [syn: tendency]
- the act of inclining; bending forward; "an inclination of his head indicated his agreement" [syn: inclining]
- Dip \Dip\, n.
- The action of dipping or plunging for a moment into a liquid. ``The dip of oars in unison.'' --Glover.
- Inclination downward; direction below a horizontal line; slope; pitch.
- A liquid, as a sauce or gravy, served at table with a ladle or spoon. [Local, U.S.] --Bartlett.
- A dipped candle. [Colloq.] --Marryat. Dip of the horizon (Astron.), the angular depression of the seen or visible horizon below the true or natural horizon; the angle at the eye of an observer between a horizontal line and a tangent drawn from the eye to the surface of the ocean. Dip of the needle, or Magnetic dip, the angle formed, in a vertical plane, by a freely suspended magnetic needle,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Inclination'
Inclination in general is the angle between a reference plane and another plane or axis of direction.
The inclination is one of the six orbital parameters describing the shape and orientation of a celestial orbit. It is the angular distance of the orbital plane from the plane of reference (usually the primary's equator or the ecliptic), normally stated in degrees.
In the solar system, the inclination of the orbit of a planet is defined as the angle between the plane of the orbit of the planet and the ecliptic — which is the plane containing Earth's orbital path. It could be measured with respect to another plane, such as the Sun's equator or even Jupiter's orbital plane, but the ecliptic is more practical for Earth-bound observers. Most planetary orbits in our solar system have relatively small inclinations, both in relation to each other and to the Sun's equator. There are notable exceptions in the dwarf planets Pluto and Eris, which have inclinations to the ecliptic of 17 degrees and 44 degrees respectively, and the large asteroid Pallas, which is inclined at 34 degrees.[See more about Inclination at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Inclination'
'Inclination' in famous quotation sentence
* A man ought to read just as inclination leads him for what he reads as a task will do him little good. - Samuel Johnson
* Always set high value on spontaneous kindness. He whose inclination prompts him to cultivate your friendship of his own accord will love you more than one whom you have been at pains to attach to you. - Samuel Johnson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Inclination'
Inclination Sample Sentences in News
- SC seeks Mudgal panel's inclination to probe IPL scam
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday asked the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee whether it was inclined to investigate the allegations of betting and spot fixing during IPL-6. An apex court bench headed by Justice A.K. Patnaik asked senior counsel Gopal Subramaniam to check with Justice Mudgal if he was inclined to probe the allegations. The court sa Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'
- Disappointment, Forgiveness Mix in La. Scandal
Disappointment, inclination to forgive is prevailing sentiment about 'kissing congressman' Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'
- Supreme Court seeks Justice Mukul Mudgal panel's inclination to probe IPL scam
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday asked the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee whether it was inclined to investigate the allegations of betting and spot fixing during IPL-6. Read more on this news related to 'Inclination'