Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisonment'
- putting someone in prison or in jail as lawful punishment
- the state of being imprisoned; "he was held in captivity until he died"; "the imprisonment of captured soldiers"; "his ignominious incarceration in the local jail"; "he practiced the immurement of his enemies in the castle dungeon" [syn: captivity, incarceration, immurement]
- the act of confining someone in a prison (or as if in a prison) [syn: internment]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisonment'
Incarceration is the detention of a person in jail, typically as punishment for a crime. People are most commonly incarcerated upon suspicion or conviction of committing a crime, and different jurisdictions have differing laws governing the function of incarceration within a larger system of justice. Incarceration serves four essential purposes with regard to criminals:
Incarceration rates, when measured by the United Nations, are considered distinct and separate from the imprisonment of political prisoners and others not charged with a specific crime. Historically, the frequency of imprisonment, its duration, and severity have varied considerably. There has also been much debate about the motives for incarceration, its effectiveness and fairness, as well as debate regarding the related questions about the nature and etiology of criminal behavior.[See more about Imprisonment at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Imprisonment'
'Imprisonment' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Imprisonment'
Imprisonment Sample Sentences in News
- Colorado woman sues police for false imprisonment
GREELEY, Colo. (AP) — The Tribune reports a woman jailed for 49 days before forgery charges against her were dismissed is suing the city of Greeley, its police department and a police Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'
- Woman suing police for false imprisonment
GREELEY, Colo. — A Greeley woman is suing her local police department because she said she was arrested and put... Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'
- Fallen San Diego mayor Bob Filner charged with felony false imprisonment
Charge sheet against Filner, 71, alleges false imprisonment 'by violence, fraud, menace and deceit' but does not elaborate Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'