Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisonment'
- putting someone in prison or in jail as lawful punishment
- the state of being imprisoned; "he was held in captivity until he died"; "the imprisonment of captured soldiers"; "his ignominious incarceration in the local jail"; "he practiced the immurement of his enemies in the castle dungeon" [syn: captivity, incarceration, immurement]
- the act of confining someone in a prison (or as if in a prison) [syn: internment]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisonment'
Incarceration is the detention of a person in jail, typically as punishment for a crime. People are most commonly incarcerated upon suspicion or conviction of committing a crime, and different jurisdictions have differing laws governing the function of incarceration within a larger system of justice. Incarceration serves four essential purposes with regard to criminals:
Incarceration rates, when measured by the United Nations, are considered distinct and separate from the imprisonment of political prisoners and others not charged with a specific crime. Historically, the frequency of imprisonment, its duration, and severity have varied considerably. There has also been much debate about the motives for incarceration, its effectiveness and fairness, as well as debate regarding the related questions about the nature and etiology of criminal behavior.[See more about Imprisonment at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Imprisonment'
'Imprisonment' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Imprisonment'
Imprisonment Sample Sentences in News
- Vigil marks former Marine's third year of imprisonment in Iran
U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee plans to speak at a Bay City vigil marking the third anniversary of the Iranian imprisonment of a former U.S. Marine. Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'
- Vigil marks man's 3rd year of imprisonment in Iran
Bay City — U.S. Rep. Dan Kildee plans to speak at a Bay City vigil marking the third anniversary of the Iranian imprisonment of a former U.S. Marine. Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'
- TIR Truck Driver Sentenced to Life Imprisonment in Iran Returned to Bulgaria
Zhivko Rusev, a Bulgarian national sentenced to life imprisonment in Iran for drug trafficking, has been returned to Bulgaria. Zhivko Stefanov Rusev, who had been serving a life imprisonment sentence in the Evin Prison in Teheran, was transferred from Iran to Bulgaria on the night of August 26, according to reports of Sega daily. Rusev was arrested by Iranian poli Read more on this news related to 'Imprisonment'