Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Impairment'
Impairment Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the occurrence of a change for the worse [syn: damage, harm]
- a symptom of reduced quality or strength [syn: deterioration]
- the condition of being unable to perform as a consequence of physical or mental unfitness; "reading disability"; "hearing impairment" [syn: disability, disablement, handicap]
- damage that results in a reduction of strength or quality
- the act of making something futile and useless (as by routine) [syn: stultification, constipation, deadening]
- Impairment \Im*pair"ment\, n. [OE. enpeirement, OF. empirement.]
The state of being impaired; injury. ``The impairment of my
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Impairment'
- Impairment: Impairment may refer to: ... Identifying impairments that contribute to a functional problem for a patient is a key factor for a health ...
- Visual impairment: Visual impairment (or vision impairment) is vision loss (of a person) to such a degree as to qualify as an additional support need ...
- Hearing impairment: ability to detect certain frequencies of sound is completely or partially impaired. ... A conductive hearing impairment is an impairment ...
- Pragmatic language impairment: Pragmatic language impairment (PLI) is an impairment in understanding pragmatic areas of language. This type of impairment was previously ...
- Specific language impairment: Specific language impairment (SLI) is a developmental language disorder that can affect both expressive and receptive language. ...
- Mild cognitive impairment: Mild cognitive impairment (MCI, also known as incipient dementia, or isolated memory impairment) is a diagnosis given to individuals who ...
Words and phrases related to 'Impairment'
Impairment Sample Sentences in News
- Sony heads for deeper loss as it shrinks struggling smartphone business
* CFO warned of impairment loss for mobiles in July (Recasts, adds background context on mobile unit, strategy for electronics) TOKYO, Sept 17 (Reuters) - Sony Corp cut its earnings outlook for the sixth time on Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai's watch on Tuesday as it announced a massive impairment change on its smartphone unit, which it has failed to grow despite Read more on this news related to 'Impairment'
- Targeting Cognitive Impairment Across CNS Disorders
Cognitive impairment is a key component of many neuropsychiatric conditions. It is a frequent driver of disability and poor social functioning, and has increasingly been a target for new treatment development. Read more on this news related to 'Impairment'
- New parliament for people with visual impairment launched in Kingston
The body has been created through negotiations between the Thomas Pocklington Trust, Kingston Hospital’s Royal Eye Unit, Kingston Council officers and former borough mayor Mary Heathcote. Read more on this news related to 'Impairment'