Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Idealistic'
- of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of the reality of ideas [syn: ideal]
- of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept" [syn: exalted, high-flown, high-minded, lofty, rarefied, rarified, noble-minded]
- Idealistic \I*de`al*is"tic\, a.
Of or pertaining to idealists or their theories.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Idealistic'
Idealism is the philosophical theory which maintains that experience is ultimately based on mental activity. In the philosophy of perception, idealism is contrasted with realism, in which the external world is said to have an apparent absolute existence. Epistemological idealists (such as Kant) claim that the only things which can be directly known for certain are just ideas (abstraction). In literature, idealism refers to the thoughts or the ideas of the writer.
In the philosophy of mind, idealism is the opposite of materialism, in which the ultimate nature of reality is based on physical substances. Idealism and materialism are both theories of monism as opposed to dualism and pluralism. Idealism sometimes refers to a tradition in thought that represents things of a perfect form, as in the fields of ethics, morality, aesthetics, and value. In this way, it represents a human perfect being or circumstance.[See more about Idealistic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Idealistic'
'Idealistic' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Idealistic'
Idealistic Sample Sentences in News
- LETTER: Leave your idealistic bubble when it comes to spying
My brother once said, 'Someday you will leave your idealistic bubble.' This week I have had occasion to laugh about his statement. The news coverage devoted to spying by the National Security Administration is a joke. Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'
- Mission Impossible: Lily Cole's new social network
Lily Cole's idealistic social network, Impossible, allows users to help each other for free. She tells Ellie Pithers about her mission to facilitate an online gift economy. Photograph by Julia Fullerton-Batten Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'
- LeAnn Rimes’ Shoots ‘Gasoline and Matches’ Video with iPhones
Grammy award-winning singer LeAnn Rimes has definitely proved that simplicity can be one of the most idealistic forms of creativity. Her latest music video, ‘Gasoline and Matches’ didn’t require the use of studios, film locations, or camera crews because she … Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'