Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Idealistic'
- of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of the reality of ideas [syn: ideal]
- of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept" [syn: exalted, high-flown, high-minded, lofty, rarefied, rarified, noble-minded]
- Idealistic \I*de`al*is"tic\, a.
Of or pertaining to idealists or their theories.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Idealistic'
Idealism is the philosophical theory which maintains that experience is ultimately based on mental activity. In the philosophy of perception, idealism is contrasted with realism, in which the external world is said to have an apparent absolute existence. Epistemological idealists (such as Kant) claim that the only things which can be directly known for certain are just ideas (abstraction). In literature, idealism refers to the thoughts or the ideas of the writer.
In the philosophy of mind, idealism is the opposite of materialism, in which the ultimate nature of reality is based on physical substances. Idealism and materialism are both theories of monism as opposed to dualism and pluralism. Idealism sometimes refers to a tradition in thought that represents things of a perfect form, as in the fields of ethics, morality, aesthetics, and value. In this way, it represents a human perfect being or circumstance.[See more about Idealistic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Idealistic'
'Idealistic' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Idealistic'
Idealistic Sample Sentences in News
- Sonny Angara's 'sex appeal' wins Miriam's endorsement
For being young, idealistic and "full of sex appeal," Team PNoy's senatorial candidate, Aurora Rep. Juan Edgardo "Sonny" Angara, has received the support of Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago. Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'
- COLUMN: Choices matter, even if it’s a T-shirt
NANAIMO – In my idealistic youth, I remember railing against the use of sweatshop labour. Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'
- Introducing Racey Gardens, an experiment in community supported agriculture for the young, poor and idealistic
What do you do when you have a penchant for gardening, extensive but ugly yard space, and a pitiful sum in your bank account? You get organized. If my previous life as a community organizer has taught me anything, it’s that the power of collective action is greatly underestimated, especially in the garden, where resources [...] Read more on this news related to 'Idealistic'