Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Icon'
- (computer science) a graphic symbol (usually a simple picture) that denotes a program or a command or a data file or a concept in a graphical user interface
- a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them" [syn: picture, image, ikon]
- a conventional religious painting in oil on a small wooden panel; venerated in the Eastern Church [syn: ikon]
- Icon \I"con\, n. (Gr. Ch.)
A sacred picture representing the Virgin Mary, Christ, a
saint, or a martyr, and having the same function as an image
of such a person in the Latin Church.
- Icon \I"con\ ([imac]"k[o^]n), n. [L., fr. Gr. e'ikw`n.]
An image or representation; a portrait or pretended portrait.
Netherlands whose names and icons are published.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Icon'
An icon (from Greek εἰκών eikōn "image") is a religious work of art, most commonly a painting, from Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Catholicism. More broadly the term is used in a wide number of contexts for an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it either concretely or by analogy, as in semiotics; by extension, icon is also used, particularly in modern culture, in the general sense of symbol — i.e. a name, face, picture, edifice or even a person readily recognized as having some well-known significance or embodying certain qualities: one thing, an image or depiction, that represents something else of greater significance through literal or figurative meaning, usually associated with religious, cultural, political, or economic standing.[See more about Icon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Icon'
Icon Sample Sentences in News
- Icon Ipswich almost a full house as SEQ Water finalise move
THE SEQ Water move from Brisbane to Icon Ipswich is on the verge of completion with 300 staff now calling the new tower their home. Read more on this news related to 'Icon'
- Office tower to rise next to historic Hollywood studio
Hudson Pacific Properties plans to build the 14-story Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios next to the 1920s landmark Hollywood building that was once executive headquarters of Warner Bros. One of Hollywood's biggest landlords is setting the stage for another expansion as the historic heart of the film and broadcast business rises again. Read more on this news related to 'Icon'
- iCON Infrastructure Agrees to Acquire Fortum’s Norwegian Heating Business
iCON Infrastructure Partners II, L.P. has entered into an agreement to acquire 100% of Fortum fjernvarme AS and related holdings from Fortum Oyj , the Finnish energy company. Read more on this news related to 'Icon'