Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Icon'
- (computer science) a graphic symbol (usually a simple picture) that denotes a program or a command or a data file or a concept in a graphical user interface
- a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them" [syn: picture, image, ikon]
- a conventional religious painting in oil on a small wooden panel; venerated in the Eastern Church [syn: ikon]
- Icon \I"con\, n. (Gr. Ch.)
A sacred picture representing the Virgin Mary, Christ, a
saint, or a martyr, and having the same function as an image
of such a person in the Latin Church.
- Icon \I"con\ ([imac]"k[o^]n), n. [L., fr. Gr. e'ikw`n.]
An image or representation; a portrait or pretended portrait.
Netherlands whose names and icons are published.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Icon'
An icon (from Greek εἰκών eikōn "image") is a religious work of art, most commonly a painting, from Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Catholicism. More broadly the term is used in a wide number of contexts for an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it either concretely or by analogy, as in semiotics; by extension, icon is also used, particularly in modern culture, in the general sense of symbol — i.e. a name, face, picture, edifice or even a person readily recognized as having some well-known significance or embodying certain qualities: one thing, an image or depiction, that represents something else of greater significance through literal or figurative meaning, usually associated with religious, cultural, political, or economic standing.[See more about Icon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Icon'
Icon Sample Sentences in News
- Sophia Loren, Italy's national icon, turns 80 with book of memoirs
By Philip Pullella ROME (Reuters) - Sophia Loren, Italy's national cinema icon and eternal diva, turns 80 this week and is marking the milestone with a book of memoirs revealing details of her rags-to-riches life. For the 300-page "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow - My Life," Loren went into what she called her "trunk of memories" to fish out Read more on this news related to 'Icon'
- 35 years of a home-spun fashion icon
Leather and lifestyle: the travel of a global brand that originated from Puducherry Read more on this news related to 'Icon'
- Next Century Publishing & Printing Icon Announce Acquisition Finalized
LAS VEGAS and TORONTO, Sept. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Next Century Publishing is pleased to announce the acquisition of Printing Icon, a full service Printing Company (http://www.PrintingIcon.com) based in Toronto, Canada, through the company's Canadian subsidiary. The transaction... Read more on this news related to 'Icon'