Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hazy'
- filled or abounding with fog or mist; "a brumous October morning" [syn: brumous, foggy, misty]
- indistinct or hazy in outline; "a landscape of blurred outlines"; "the trees were just blurry shapes" [syn: bleary, blurred, blurry, foggy, fuzzy, muzzy] [also: haziest, hazier]
- Hazy \Ha"zy\, a. [From Haze, n.]
- Thick with haze; somewhat obscured with haze; not clear or transparent. ``A tender, hazy brightness.'' --Wordsworth.
- Obscure; confused; not clear; as, a hazy argument; a hazy intellect. --Mrs. Gore.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hazy'
Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky. The World Meteorological Organization manual of codes includes a classification of horizontal obscuration into categories of fog, ice fog, steam fog, mist, haze, smoke, volcanic ash, dust, sand and snow. Sources for haze particles include farming (ploughing in dry weather), traffic, industry, and wildfires.
Seen from afar (e.g. approaching airplane) and depending upon the direction of view with respect to the sun, haze may appear brownish or bluish, while mist tends to be bluish-grey. Whereas haze often is thought of as a phenomenon of dry air, mist formation is a phenomenon of humid air. However, haze particles may act as condensation nuclei for the subsequent formation of mist droplets; such forms of haze are known as "wet haze."[See more about Hazy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hazy'
Hazy Sample Sentences in News
- Hazy Raya with big rise in hotspots
PETALING JAYA - Hari Raya turned out to be a hazy one nationwide with many areas recording unhealthy Air Pollutant Index (API) readings. There has been a 40 per cent increase in patients with haze-related respiratory and skin problems at clinics and hospitals checked. At 5pm yesterday, the worst hit area was Sibu with a reading of 145, followed by Batu Muda at 132 Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'
- Saturn's Moon Titan Sheds Light on Hazy Alien Planets
By peering into the haze of Saturn's huge moon Titan, scientists could learn more about how the atmospheres of alien worlds behave. The scientists used data collected from 2006 to 2011 by the Cassini spacecraft in the Saturn system to examine Titan's hazy atmosphere and learn more about how it works. Just as scientists try to understand the properties of s Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'
- Udvar-Hazy Adds to Legacy by Test-Flying Planes He Buys
As Steven Udvar-Hazy assesses whether to acquire new planes for the leasing company he runs, he enjoys an edge over other buyers: He can test-fly the jets himself. Air Lease Corp. (AL)'s chief executive officer and his longtime lieutenant, John Plueger, have had access to some of the world's most-advanced airliners in recent months, trying out an Airbus Gr Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'