Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hazy'
- filled or abounding with fog or mist; "a brumous October morning" [syn: brumous, foggy, misty]
- indistinct or hazy in outline; "a landscape of blurred outlines"; "the trees were just blurry shapes" [syn: bleary, blurred, blurry, foggy, fuzzy, muzzy] [also: haziest, hazier]
- Hazy \Ha"zy\, a. [From Haze, n.]
- Thick with haze; somewhat obscured with haze; not clear or transparent. ``A tender, hazy brightness.'' --Wordsworth.
- Obscure; confused; not clear; as, a hazy argument; a hazy intellect. --Mrs. Gore.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hazy'
Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky. The World Meteorological Organization manual of codes includes a classification of horizontal obscuration into categories of fog, ice fog, steam fog, mist, haze, smoke, volcanic ash, dust, sand and snow. Sources for haze particles include farming (ploughing in dry weather), traffic, industry, and wildfires.
Seen from afar (e.g. approaching airplane) and depending upon the direction of view with respect to the sun, haze may appear brownish or bluish, while mist tends to be bluish-grey. Whereas haze often is thought of as a phenomenon of dry air, mist formation is a phenomenon of humid air. However, haze particles may act as condensation nuclei for the subsequent formation of mist droplets; such forms of haze are known as "wet haze."[See more about Hazy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hazy'
Hazy Sample Sentences in News
- Eye Pigment May Help Vision in Hazy Conditions
Title: Eye Pigment May Help Vision in Hazy Conditions Category: Health News Created: 8/28/2014 9:35:00 AM Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2014 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'
- Monday Evening Weather: Summer, or September?
Expect a mix of hazy sun and clouds, with temperatures averaging in the upper 80’s today and possibly 90 or above tomorrow. A cold front will cross the northeast Tuesday night that will usher in a dry, but warm air- mass Wednesday and continue throughout the rest of week. Expect temperatures to average 5 to […] Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'
- Monday Morning Weather: Heat, Humidity, Isolated Thunderstorm
Today and tomorrow will feel like the 4th of July, as mid-summer heat and humidity has moved into Connecticut and all the New England. Expect a mix of hazy sun and clouds, with temperatures averaging in the upper 80’s today and possibly 90 or above tomorrow. A cold front will cross the northeast Tuesday night […] Read more on this news related to 'Hazy'