Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Haze'
- atmospheric moisture or dust or smoke that causes reduced visibility
- confusion characterized by lack of clarity [syn: daze, fog] v
- become hazy, dull, or cloudy
- harass by imposing humiliating or painful tasks, as in military institutions
- Haze \Haze\, n. [Cf. Icel. h["o]ss gray; akin to AS. hasu,
heasu, gray; or Armor. a['e]zen, ['e]zen, warm vapor,
Light vapor or smoke in the air which more or less impedes
vision, with little or no dampness; a lack of transparency in
the air; hence, figuratively, obscurity; dimness.
O'er the sky The silvery haze of summer drawn.
Above the world's uncertain haze. --Keble.
- Haze \Haze\, v. i.
To be hazy, or tick with haze. --Ray.
- Haze \Haze\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hazed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Hazing.] [Also haze.] [Cf. Sw. haza to hamstring, fr. has
hough, OD. h[ae]ssen ham.]
- To harass by exacting unnecessary, disagreeable, or difficult work.
- To harass or annoy by playing abusive or shameful tricks
upon; to humiliate by practical jokes; -- used esp. of
college students; as, the sophomores hazed a freshman.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Haze'
Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon where dust, smoke and other dry particles obscure the clarity of the sky. The World Meteorological Organization manual of codes includes a classification of horizontal obscuration into categories of fog, ice fog, steam fog, mist, haze, smoke, volcanic ash, dust, sand and snow. Sources for haze particles include farming (ploughing in dry weather), traffic, industry, and wildfires.
Seen from afar (e.g. approaching airplane) and depending upon the direction of view with respect to the sun, haze may appear brownish or bluish, while mist tends to be bluish-grey. Whereas haze often is thought of as a phenomenon of dry air, mist formation is a phenomenon of humid air. However, haze particles may act as condensation nuclei for the subsequent formation of mist droplets; such forms of haze are known as "wet haze."[See more about Haze at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Haze'
'Haze' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Haze'
Haze Sample Sentences in News
- Haze continues to shroud east, north China
BEIJING, Dec. 7 (Xinhua) -- Heavy haze still shrouded north and east China on Saturday, with highways closed and flights delayed or canceled following an orange alert for haze. Read more on this news related to 'Haze'
- Haze continues to shroud China
Beijing, Dec 7 (IANS) Heavy haze still shrouded China Saturday, with highways closed, and flights delayed or cancelled following an alert for haze. Read more on this news related to 'Haze'
- Haze continues to shroud east, north
Heavy haze still shrouded north and east China on Saturday, with highways closed and flights delayed or canceled. Read more on this news related to 'Haze'