Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hand'
- the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb; "he had the hands of a surgeon"; "he extended his mitt" [syn: manus, mitt, paw]
- a hired laborer on a farm or ranch; "the hired hand fixed the railing"; "a ranch hand" [syn: hired hand, hired man}]
- something written by hand; "she recognized his handwriting"; "his hand was illegible" [syn: handwriting, script]
- ability; "he wanted to try his hand at singing"
- a position given by its location to the side of an object; "objections were voiced on every hand"
- the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn't hold a good hand all evening"; "he kept trying to see my hand" [syn: deal]
- one of two sides of an issue; "on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
- a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece; "the big hand counts the minutes"
- a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses; "the horse stood 20 hands"
- a member of the crew of a ship; "all hands on deck" 1
- a card player in a game of bridge; "we need a 4th hand for bridge" [syn: bridge player] 1
- a round of applause to signify approval; "give the little lady a great big hand" 1
- terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos); "the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"- Springfield (Mass.) Union 1
- physical assistance; "give me a hand with the chores" [syn: helping hand] v
- place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers" [syn: pass, reach, pass on, turn over, give]
- guide or conduct or usher somewhere; "hand the elderly lady into the taxi"
- Hand \Hand\, n.
A gambling game played by American Indians, consisting of
guessing the whereabouts of bits of ivory or the like, which
are passed rapidly from hand to hand.
- Hand \Hand\, n. [AS. hand, hond; akin to D., G., & Sw. hand,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hand'
A hand (med./lat.: manus, pl. manūs) is a prehensile, multi-fingered body part located at the end of an arm or forelimb of primates such as humans, chimpanzees, monkeys, and lemurs. A few other vertebrates such as the koala (which has two opposable thumbs on each "hand" and fingerprints remarkably similar to human fingerprints) are often described as having either "hands" or "paws" on their front limbs.
Hands are the chief organs for physically manipulating the environment, used for both gross motor skills (such as grasping a large object) and fine motor skills (such as picking up a small pebble). The fingertips contain some of the densest areas of nerve endings on the body, are the richest source of tactile feedback, and have the greatest positioning capability of the body; thus the sense of touch is intimately associated with hands. Like other paired organs (eyes, feet, legs), each hand is dominantly controlled by the opposing brain hemisphere, so that handedness, or the preferred hand choice for single-handed activities such as writing with a pen, reflects individual brain functioning.[See more about Hand at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hand'
Meaning of the Name 'Hand'
- Meaning: Worker
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Hand' in famous quotation sentence
* We hand folks over to God's mercy, and show none ourselves. - George Eliot
* What is the sound of one hand clapping - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hand'
Hand Sample Sentences in News
- Vogelsong breaks hand in Giants' shutout win
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy has resisted the temptation to remove struggling Ryan Vogelsong from the team's rotation. Read more on this news related to 'Hand'
- Nats reliever breaks pitching hand punching locker
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — On a night the Washington Nationals welcomed back slugger Bryce Harper, the team learned it will be without reliever Ryan Mattheus after he broke his hand punching a locker. Read more on this news related to 'Hand'
- Vanderbilt OL coach Herb Hand harrassed on Twitter by Tennessee fan then rats him out to Butch Jones
Vanderbilt offensive line coach Herb Hand is one of the nicest and most approachable coaches on Twitter, but even he’s not immune to stupid fans. Monday, Hand was verbally attacked on Twitter by a Tennessee fan who goes by the … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Hand'