Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Greenback'
Greenback Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a piece of paper money (especially one issued by a central
bank); "he peeled off five one-thousand-zloty notes"
[syn: bill, note, government note, bank bill, banker's
bill, bank note, banknote, Federal Reserve note]
- Garfish \Gar"fish`\, n. [See Gar, n.] (Zo["o]l.)
(a) A European marine fish (Belone vulgaris); -- called
also gar, gerrick, greenback, greenbone,
gorebill, hornfish, longnose, mackerel guide,
sea needle, and sea pike.
(b) One of several species of similar fishes of the genus
Tylosurus, of which one species (T. marinus) is
common on the Atlantic coast. T. Caribb[ae]us, a very
large species, and T. crassus, are more southern; --
called also needlefish. Many of the common names of the
European garfish are also applied to the American
- Greenback \Green"back"\, n.
One of the legal tender notes of the United States; -- first
issued in 1862, and having the devices on the back printed
with green ink, to prevent alterations and counterfeits.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Greenback'
- Greenback: Greenback may refer to: In currency: Greenback (money), a fiat currency issued during the American Civil War. United States Note ...
- Greenback Party: The Greenback Party (also known as the Independent Party, the National Party, and the Greenback-Labor Party was an American political ...
- Greenback, Tennessee: Greenback is a city in Loudon County , Tennessee , United States . Its population was at 954, according to the 2000 census . ...
- Greenback (money): The term greenback refers to paper currency that was issued by the United States during the American Civil War There are at least two ...
- Greenback cutthroat trout: The greenback cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki stomias) is the easternmost subspecies of cutthroat trout . This subspecies, once ...
- Greenback stingaree: The greenback stingaree (Urolophus viridis) is a little-known species of stingray in the family Urolophidae , endemic to the outer ...
Words and phrases related to 'Greenback'
Greenback Sample Sentences in News
- Developers Slump as Yuan Drop Closing Fund Window: China Credit
The yuan’s 12.8 percent gain in the last five years prompted Chinese developers to... Read More The yuan’s 12.8 percent gain in the last five years prompted Chinese developers to issue $60.9 billion of bonds denominated in the greenback or in Hong Kong dollars. Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'
- Canada dollar weakens as Ukraine jitters lift greenback
By Leah Schnurr TORONTO (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar weakened on Monday as safe-haven buying of the greenback increased as Russian President Vladimir Putin's forces tightened their grip on the Crimea region. The Canadian dollar pared some declines on data that showed Canadian manufacturers' prices climbed much more than expected in January, largely due Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'
- Aussie Holds Drop as Nikkei Futures Fall; Copper Rebounds
The Australian dollar held declines against the greenback before business confidence data, after iron-ore prices slid the most since 2009. Most Asian index futures fell as U.S. stocks retreated while copper futures rebounded after the worst two-day drop in 28 months. Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'