Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Greenback'
Greenback Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a piece of paper money (especially one issued by a central
bank); "he peeled off five one-thousand-zloty notes"
[syn: bill, note, government note, bank bill, banker's
bill, bank note, banknote, Federal Reserve note]
- Garfish \Gar"fish`\, n. [See Gar, n.] (Zo["o]l.)
(a) A European marine fish (Belone vulgaris); -- called
also gar, gerrick, greenback, greenbone,
gorebill, hornfish, longnose, mackerel guide,
sea needle, and sea pike.
(b) One of several species of similar fishes of the genus
Tylosurus, of which one species (T. marinus) is
common on the Atlantic coast. T. Caribb[ae]us, a very
large species, and T. crassus, are more southern; --
called also needlefish. Many of the common names of the
European garfish are also applied to the American
- Greenback \Green"back"\, n.
One of the legal tender notes of the United States; -- first
issued in 1862, and having the devices on the back printed
with green ink, to prevent alterations and counterfeits.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Greenback'
- Greenback: Greenback may refer to: In currency: Greenback (money), a fiat currency issued during the American Civil War. United States Note ...
- Greenback Party: The Greenback Party (also known as the Independent Party, the National Party, and the Greenback-Labor Party was an American political ...
- Greenback, Tennessee: Greenback is a city in Loudon County , Tennessee , United States . Its population was at 954, according to the 2000 census . ...
- Greenback (money): The term greenback refers to paper currency that was issued by the United States during the American Civil War There are at least two ...
- Greenback cutthroat trout: The greenback cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki stomias) is the easternmost subspecies of cutthroat trout . This subspecies, once ...
- Greenback stingaree: The greenback stingaree (Urolophus viridis) is a little-known species of stingray in the family Urolophidae , endemic to the outer ...
Words and phrases related to 'Greenback'
Greenback Sample Sentences in News
- Nigeria naira unchanged as dealers expect oil firm dollar sales
The Nigerian currency was unchanged at 162.15 naira to the greenback at Wednesday's market close, as dealers maintained their positions in anticipation of U.S. The unit closed at 162.13 naira the previous day, broadly at the same level as Wednesday. The naira gained 0.11 percent on Monday after some lenders sold the greenback to stay within a regulatory limit. Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'
- $A weaker against strong US dollar
The Australian dollar is weaker against the strengthening greenback, following promising US economic data. She said commodity currencies, including the Australian dollar, were weaker against the greenback. She said the greenback could make further gains if minutes from the Fed's last meeting, to be released this week, were more upbeat. Ms Lien said the Austral Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'
- NZ dollar falls as greenback rises
The New Zealand dollar fell to a five-month low as the greenback broadly rose on speculation the Federal Reserve is closer to raising interest rates and sentiment for the kiwi was dented by weaker dairy prices and what may be a prolonged... Read more on this news related to 'Greenback'