Global Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- involving the entire earth; not limited or provincial in scope; "global war"; "global monetary policy"; "neither national nor continental but planetary"; "a world crisis"; "of worldwide significance"
- having the shape of a sphere or ball; "a spherical object"; "nearly orbicular in shape"; "little globular houses like mud-wasp nests"- Zane Grey
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Global'?
Global Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A globe is a picture of a planet drawn on a sphere. It is like a scale model of the planet. The word "globe" comes from the Latin word globus, meaning round mass or sphere.
Most globes are maps of the Earth. The most common types are political and physical. Political globes show countries. Physical globes show landscape like mountains and rivers.
Global as an adjective is used to mean the entire world rather than any special place. It is also used in fields like computers to mean dealing with a whole larger system, as distinguished from its individual little parts.
The fact that the Earth is a sphere was established by Hellenistic astronomy in the 3rd century BCE. The earliest globe of the Earth appeared in that period. The earliest known example is the one made by Crates of Mallus in Cilicia (now Çukurova in modern-day Turkey), in the mid-2nd century BCE.
Words and phrases related to 'Global'
'Global' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Global'
Global Sample Sentences in News
- Liberty Global Completes Post-Closing Acceptance Period for Ziggo
Liberty Global plc and Ziggo N.V. today announce that the post-closing acceptance period relating to the previously announced recommended public offer to Ziggo shareholders by a subsidiary of Liberty Global expired at 17:40 hours CET (11:40 a.m. Read more on this news related to 'Global'
- Viking Global Investors sells position in Constellation Brands
Viking Global Investors sold its position in Constellation Brands (CAM) in 3Q14. The position accounted for 1.27% of Viking’s 2Q portfolio. Read more on this news related to 'Global'
- Viking Global Investors eliminates position in Time Warner Inc.
Viking Global Investors sold its position in Time Warner Inc. (TWX) in 3Q14. The position accounted for 2.41% of Viking’s 2Q portfolio. Read more on this news related to 'Global'