Global Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- involving the entire earth; not limited or provincial in scope; "global war"; "global monetary policy"; "neither national nor continental but planetary"; "a world crisis"; "of worldwide significance"
- having the shape of a sphere or ball; "a spherical object"; "nearly orbicular in shape"; "little globular houses like mud-wasp nests"- Zane Grey
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Global'?
Global Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A globe is a picture of a planet drawn on a sphere. It is like a scale model of the planet. The word "globe" comes from the Latin word globus, meaning round mass or sphere.
Most globes are maps of the Earth. The most common types are political and physical. Political globes show countries. Physical globes show landscape like mountains and rivers.
Global as an adjective is used to mean the entire world rather than any special place. It is also used in fields like computers to mean dealing with a whole larger system, as distinguished from its individual little parts.
The fact that the Earth is a sphere was established by Hellenistic astronomy in the 3rd century BCE. The earliest globe of the Earth appeared in that period. The earliest known example is the one made by Crates of Mallus in Cilicia (now Çukurova in modern-day Turkey), in the mid-2nd century BCE.
Words and phrases related to 'Global'
'Global' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Global'
Global Sample Sentences in News
- Global Knowledge Is One of the First AXELOS Strategic Partners
Global Knowledge, the world’s leading IT and business skills training provider, today announced that it is one of the first AXELOS Strategic Partners. AXELOS, who owns the Global B Read more on this news related to 'Global'
- Global Skid-steer Loader Market 2015-2019
Dublin, March 02, 2015-- Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Global Skid-steer Loader Market 2015-2019" report to their offering. The Global Skid-steer Loader market to grow ... Read more on this news related to 'Global'
- Global Indemnity (GBLI) Gains Despite Poor Q4 Earnings - Analyst Blog
Global Indemnity Plc (GBLI) reported operating earnings per share ("EPS") of 57 cents for fourth-quarter 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Global'