Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
- of or relating to a galaxy (especially our galaxy the Milky Way); "the galactic plane"
- inconceivably large [syn: astronomic, astronomical]
- Galactic \Ga*lac"tic\, a. [Gr. ? milky, fr. ?, ?, milk. See
Galaxy, and cf. Lactic.]
- Of or pertaining to milk; got from milk; as, galactic acid.
- Of or pertaining to the galaxy or Milky Way. Galactic circle (Astron.), the great circle of the heavens, to which the course of the galaxy most nearly conforms. --Herschel. Galactic poles, the poles of the galactic circle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
Galactic is a funk and jazz jam band from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States.
Originally formed in 1994 as an octet (under the name Galactic Prophylactic) and including singer Chris Lane and guitarist Rob Gowen, the group was soon pared down to an instrumental sextet of: guitarist Jeff Raines, bassist Robert Mercurio, drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist Ben Ellman and Hammond organist Rich Vogel, later adding Theryl DeClouet on vocals.
The group was started when Raines and Mercurio, childhood friends from the Washington D.C. area, moved to New Orleans together to attend college at Tulane and Loyola Universities, and became enamored of the local funk scene, populated by such legendary acts as The Meters and Dirty Dozen Brass Band and inspired by local legends such as Professor Longhair. There they teamed with noted New Orleans drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist/harmonica (now producer) Ben Ellman, and Rich Vogel. In 2004, the band parted ways with vocalist DeClouet, and now continue as an instrumental group. They have been releasing albums consistently since 1996.[See more about Galactic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Galactic'
Galactic Sample Sentences in News
- Justin Bieber Books Spaceflight with Virgin Galactic
Justin Bieber is going to space, and he may even shoot a music video in the final frontier. Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- Justin Bieber books space voyage on Virgin Galactic
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Canadian pop star Justin Bieber is the latest celebrity to reach for the stars, signing up to go into space with Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic. British entrepreneur Branson announced on Twitter on Wednesday that Bieber, 19, and his manager, Scooter Braun, were the latest "future astronauts. ... Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- Virgin Galactic CEO Talks Space Travel for All
Virgin Galactic President & CEO George T. Whitesides talks about bringing space travel to the masses in a talk at the last PTTOW! meeting. Watch his speech below to find out how Virgin Galactic... Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'