Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
- of or relating to a galaxy (especially our galaxy the Milky Way); "the galactic plane"
- inconceivably large [syn: astronomic, astronomical]
- Galactic \Ga*lac"tic\, a. [Gr. ? milky, fr. ?, ?, milk. See
Galaxy, and cf. Lactic.]
- Of or pertaining to milk; got from milk; as, galactic acid.
- Of or pertaining to the galaxy or Milky Way. Galactic circle (Astron.), the great circle of the heavens, to which the course of the galaxy most nearly conforms. --Herschel. Galactic poles, the poles of the galactic circle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
Galactic is a funk and jazz jam band from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States.
Originally formed in 1994 as an octet (under the name Galactic Prophylactic) and including singer Chris Lane and guitarist Rob Gowen, the group was soon pared down to an instrumental sextet of: guitarist Jeff Raines, bassist Robert Mercurio, drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist Ben Ellman and Hammond organist Rich Vogel, later adding Theryl DeClouet on vocals.
The group was started when Raines and Mercurio, childhood friends from the Washington D.C. area, moved to New Orleans together to attend college at Tulane and Loyola Universities, and became enamored of the local funk scene, populated by such legendary acts as The Meters and Dirty Dozen Brass Band and inspired by local legends such as Professor Longhair. There they teamed with noted New Orleans drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist/harmonica (now producer) Ben Ellman, and Rich Vogel. In 2004, the band parted ways with vocalist DeClouet, and now continue as an instrumental group. They have been releasing albums consistently since 1996.[See more about Galactic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Galactic'
Galactic Sample Sentences in News
- Virgin Galactic and Land Rover Team Up for Space Travel (Video)
Automaker Land Rover is teaming up with private spaceflight company Virgin Galactic to help transport future commercial astronauts on Earth before flights to space. Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- Land Rover Gives Virgin Galactic a Lift on Road to Space
Virgin Galactic's customers will be riding Land Rover vehicles over rugged roads en route to their rendezvous with outer space, thanks to a newly announced partnership between the space travel company and the British automaker. Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- Virgin Galactic SpaceshipTwo: What Your $250K Flight Will Feel Like
The future of manned spaceflight is coming into focus. Whether it's through NASA's Orion program, its partnerships with private companies or in the form of the quick, space-immersion experiences that Virgin Galatic’s SpaceshipTwo spaceships are soon to offer. Billionaire Richard Branson recently placed a full-scale replica of his spaceship on the deck of Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'