Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
- of or relating to a galaxy (especially our galaxy the Milky Way); "the galactic plane"
- inconceivably large [syn: astronomic, astronomical]
- Galactic \Ga*lac"tic\, a. [Gr. ? milky, fr. ?, ?, milk. See
Galaxy, and cf. Lactic.]
- Of or pertaining to milk; got from milk; as, galactic acid.
- Of or pertaining to the galaxy or Milky Way. Galactic circle (Astron.), the great circle of the heavens, to which the course of the galaxy most nearly conforms. --Herschel. Galactic poles, the poles of the galactic circle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Galactic'
Galactic is a funk and jazz jam band from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States.
Originally formed in 1994 as an octet (under the name Galactic Prophylactic) and including singer Chris Lane and guitarist Rob Gowen, the group was soon pared down to an instrumental sextet of: guitarist Jeff Raines, bassist Robert Mercurio, drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist Ben Ellman and Hammond organist Rich Vogel, later adding Theryl DeClouet on vocals.
The group was started when Raines and Mercurio, childhood friends from the Washington D.C. area, moved to New Orleans together to attend college at Tulane and Loyola Universities, and became enamored of the local funk scene, populated by such legendary acts as The Meters and Dirty Dozen Brass Band and inspired by local legends such as Professor Longhair. There they teamed with noted New Orleans drummer Stanton Moore, saxophonist/harmonica (now producer) Ben Ellman, and Rich Vogel. In 2004, the band parted ways with vocalist DeClouet, and now continue as an instrumental group. They have been releasing albums consistently since 1996.[See more about Galactic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Galactic'
Galactic Sample Sentences in News
- 'Make Your Own SpaceShipTwo,' Other Books Part of New Virgin Galactic Deal
Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo will soon launch onto — and, in at least one example, out of — the pages of seven books thanks to a partnership between the private spaceflight company and DK, a global publisher of illustrated reference books. Virgin Galactic, founded by Richard Branson, announced on Tuesday (Aug. 5) the collaboration with DK as its latest m Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- 'Sparky' and its new stars give clues to how massive galaxies evolve
Astronomers have discovered a budding galactic nucleus, which is undergoing a ferocious rate of star formation. It is providing researchers with their first glimpse at a key step in the galaxy-formation process. Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'
- First Glimpse of a Young Galactic Core Forming in the Early Universe
Astronomers have spotted, for the first time, a dense galactic core blazing with the light of millions of newborn stars in the early universe. The finding sheds light on how elliptical galaxies, the large, gas-poor gatherings of older stars, may have first formed in the early universe. It’s a question that has eluded astronomers for […] Read more on this news related to 'Galactic'