Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Future'
- yet to be or coming; "some future historian will evaluate him" [ant: past, present(a)]
- effective in or looking toward the future; "he was preparing for future employment opportunities"
- coming at a subsequent time or stage; "the future president entered college at the age of 16"; "awaiting future actions on the bill"; "later developments"; "without ulterior argument" [syn: future(a), later(a), ulterior]
- (of elected officers) elected but not yet serving; "our next president" [syn: future(a), next, succeeding(a)]
- a verb tense or other formation referring to events or states that have not yet happened; "future auxiliary" n
- the time yet to come [syn: hereafter, futurity, time to come] [ant: past]
- a verb tense that expresses actions or states in the future [syn: future tense]
- bulk commodities bought or sold at an agreed price for delivery at a specified future date
- Future \Fu"ture\ (?; 135), a. [F. futur, L. futurus, used as
fut. p. of esse to be, but from the same root as E. be. See
Be, v. i.]
That is to be or come hereafter; that will exist at any time
after the present; as, the next moment is future, to the
Future tense (Gram.), the tense or modification of a verb
which expresses a future act or event.
- Future \Fu"ture\, n. [Cf. F. futur. See Future, a.]
- Time to come; time subsequent to the present (as, the future shall be as the present); collectively, events that are to happen in time to come. ``Lay the future open.'' --Shak.
- The possibilities of the future; -- used especially of prospective success or advancement; as, he had great future before him.
- (Gram.) A future tense. To deal in futures, to speculate on the future values of merchandise or stocks. [Brokers' cant]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Future'
The future is the indefinite time period after the present. Whether it's less than a millisecond away or a billion years, its arrival is considered inevitable due to the existence of time and the laws of physics. Due to the nature of the reality and the unavoidability of the future, everything that currently exists and will exist are temporary and will come to an end. The future and the concept eternity have been major subjects of philosophy, religion, and science and defining them non-controversially has consistently eluded the greatest of minds.
In the philosophy of time, presentism is the belief that only the present exists and the future and the past are unreal. Religions consider the future when they address issues such as karma, life after death, and eschatologies that study what the end of time and the end of the world will be. Religious figures have claimed to see into the future, such as prophets and diviners. Organized efforts to predict or forecast the future may have derived from observations by early man of heavenly objects.[See more about Future at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Future'
'Future' in famous quotation sentence
* A compassionate government keeps faith with the trust of the people and cherishes the future of their children. - Lyndon B. Johnson
* Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. - Dwight D Eisenhower
Click here for more related quotations on 'Future'
Future Sample Sentences in News
- The Fantastic Voyage Into Digital Health: SVForum Announces Upcoming HealthTech Conference “The Future of Personalized ...
The Future of Personalized Healthcare is coming to SVForum on March 27th, 2014. Healthtech innovators will preview how the latest technologies—including mobile devices, 3D printing and scanning, big data, ingestible sensors, machine learning, and enterprise Cloud—are enabling the delivery of Health as a Service. Read more on this news related to 'Future'
- Future Electronics Offers Greenliant's eMMC NANDrive(TM) to Replace Industrial SD Cards
Pointe Claire, Quebec – Future Electronics, a global leading distributor of electronic components, announces availability of Greenliant's eMMC NANDrive™ to replace industrial SD cards. Secure Digital (SD) memory cards have been widely used since their introduction in 1999 for mass data storage in various consumer devices. SD cards are ideal for sm Read more on this news related to 'Future'
- Future of Broome sport up for discussion
The future of sport in Broome is set to be discussed next week, with a meeting about the Shire of Broome Sport and Recreation Plan and BRAC Masterplan to take place. Read more on this news related to 'Future'