Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
- English writer of adventure novels featuring Captain Horatio Hornblower (1899-1966) [syn: C. S. Forester, Cecil Scott Forester}]
- someone trained in forestry [syn: tree farmer, arboriculturist]
- Forester \For"est*er\, n. [F. forestier, LL. forestarius.]
- One who has charge of the growing timber on an estate; an officer appointed to watch a forest and preserve the game.
- An inhabitant of a forest. --Wordsworth.
- A forest tree. [R.] --Evelyn.
- (Zo["o]l.) A lepidopterous insect belonging to Alypia and allied genera; as, the eight-spotted forester (A. octomaculata}), which in the larval state is injurious to the grapevine.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
A forester is a person who practices forestry, the science, art, and profession of managing forests. Foresters engage in a broad range of activities including timber harvesting, ecological restoration and management of protected areas. Foresters manage forests to provide a variety of objectives including direct extraction of raw material, outdoor recreation, conservation, hunting and aesthetics. Emerging management practices include managing forestlands for biodiversity, carbon sequestration and air quality.
A forester is also a title used widely during Medieval times. The forester usually held a position equal to a sheriff or local law enforcer. He was responsible for patrolling the woodlands on a lord or noble's property. His duties included negotiating deals for the sale of lumber and timber and stopping poachers from illegally hunting. Many times wanted criminals would hide in a forest. When this occurred it was the duty of the Forester to organize armed gangs to capture the criminal. Often foresters held titles of prominence in their local communities, and acted as barristers and arbitrators. Their pay was usually above average and they could make a decent living.[See more about Forester at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Forester'
Meaning of the Name 'Forester'
- Meaning: Forest-ranger Surname.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Forester Sample Sentences in News
- Machine 'lurched' killing forester
An experienced forester was killed after a large forestry machine "lurched" forwards, a fatal accident inquiry is told. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- Bachelorette Alum Brooks Forester Recalls Bonding With Eric Hill on Epic Motorcycle Trip to Mexico
This was no ordinary road trip. Several months ago, Bachelorette alum Brooks Forester got a call from a friend asking if he wanted to go on a motorcycle jaunt from San Diego, Calif., to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- J.C. Penney Could See A 50% Increase
Tom Forester: The Forester Value Fund is a hedged equity fund that invests in low P/E value stocks, and tries to hedge downside risk with S&P 500 puts. This approach allows you to still get upside, while being able to sleep at night during turbulent times. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'