Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
- English writer of adventure novels featuring Captain Horatio Hornblower (1899-1966) [syn: C. S. Forester, Cecil Scott Forester}]
- someone trained in forestry [syn: tree farmer, arboriculturist]
- Forester \For"est*er\, n. [F. forestier, LL. forestarius.]
- One who has charge of the growing timber on an estate; an officer appointed to watch a forest and preserve the game.
- An inhabitant of a forest. --Wordsworth.
- A forest tree. [R.] --Evelyn.
- (Zo["o]l.) A lepidopterous insect belonging to Alypia and allied genera; as, the eight-spotted forester (A. octomaculata}), which in the larval state is injurious to the grapevine.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
A forester is a person who practices forestry, the science, art, and profession of managing forests. Foresters engage in a broad range of activities including timber harvesting, ecological restoration and management of protected areas. Foresters manage forests to provide a variety of objectives including direct extraction of raw material, outdoor recreation, conservation, hunting and aesthetics. Emerging management practices include managing forestlands for biodiversity, carbon sequestration and air quality.
A forester is also a title used widely during Medieval times. The forester usually held a position equal to a sheriff or local law enforcer. He was responsible for patrolling the woodlands on a lord or noble's property. His duties included negotiating deals for the sale of lumber and timber and stopping poachers from illegally hunting. Many times wanted criminals would hide in a forest. When this occurred it was the duty of the Forester to organize armed gangs to capture the criminal. Often foresters held titles of prominence in their local communities, and acted as barristers and arbitrators. Their pay was usually above average and they could make a decent living.[See more about Forester at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Forester'
Meaning of the Name 'Forester'
- Meaning: Forest-ranger Surname.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Forester Sample Sentences in News
- Subaru Canada Announces Pricing for 2015 Forester Lineup
Rear view camera and colour multi-function display now standard on all trims Starting price remains at $25,995 TORONTO, March 10, 2014 /CNW/ - Subaru Canada, Inc. (SCI) is pleased to announce pricing for ... Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- Marga Forester, 90, Holocaust survivor
Marga Forester, 90, of Wynnewood, a Holocaust survivor who escaped from Nazi Germany to England on the famous Kindertransport, died Sunday, Feb. 9, of a heart attack at home. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- 2015 Subaru Forester Priced at $23,045 With More Standard Features
The 2015 Subaru Forester is getting a minor $225 price bump as it enters the new model year. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'