Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
- English writer of adventure novels featuring Captain Horatio Hornblower (1899-1966) [syn: C. S. Forester, Cecil Scott Forester}]
- someone trained in forestry [syn: tree farmer, arboriculturist]
- Forester \For"est*er\, n. [F. forestier, LL. forestarius.]
- One who has charge of the growing timber on an estate; an officer appointed to watch a forest and preserve the game.
- An inhabitant of a forest. --Wordsworth.
- A forest tree. [R.] --Evelyn.
- (Zo["o]l.) A lepidopterous insect belonging to Alypia and allied genera; as, the eight-spotted forester (A. octomaculata}), which in the larval state is injurious to the grapevine.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Forester'
A forester is a person who practices forestry, the science, art, and profession of managing forests. Foresters engage in a broad range of activities including timber harvesting, ecological restoration and management of protected areas. Foresters manage forests to provide a variety of objectives including direct extraction of raw material, outdoor recreation, conservation, hunting and aesthetics. Emerging management practices include managing forestlands for biodiversity, carbon sequestration and air quality.
A forester is also a title used widely during Medieval times. The forester usually held a position equal to a sheriff or local law enforcer. He was responsible for patrolling the woodlands on a lord or noble's property. His duties included negotiating deals for the sale of lumber and timber and stopping poachers from illegally hunting. Many times wanted criminals would hide in a forest. When this occurred it was the duty of the Forester to organize armed gangs to capture the criminal. Often foresters held titles of prominence in their local communities, and acted as barristers and arbitrators. Their pay was usually above average and they could make a decent living.[See more about Forester at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Forester'
Meaning of the Name 'Forester'
- Meaning: Forest-ranger Surname.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Forester Sample Sentences in News
- What About the Subaru Forester?
A reader asks why Car Doc John Paul omitted the Subaru Forester from a comparison of small SUVs. The answer is suprisingly simple. Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring Verdict
365 Days of Automotive Freedom Read more on this news related to 'Forester'
- Subaru Forester is the intelligent choice for mid-size SUVs
A FEW years ago Subaru was on the ropes, thinking of heading for the exit door from the UK market thanks to unfavourable exchange rates between the Japanese yen and the pound which made its business here almost unviable.It was the same situation that saw off Daihatsu, and Subaru admits it came very close to going the same way.Thankfully, the exchange rate is now b Read more on this news related to 'Forester'