Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Food'
- any substance that can be metabolized by an organism to give energy and build tissue [syn: nutrient]
- any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment; "food and drink"
- anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking [syn: food for thought, intellectual nourishment]
- Food \Food\, v. t.
To supply with food. [Obs.] --Baret.
- Food \Food\, n. [OE. fode, AS. f[=o]da; akin to Icel.
f[ae][eth]a, f[ae][eth]i, Sw. f["o]da, Dan. & LG. f["o]de,
OHG. fatunga, Gr. patei^sthai to eat, and perh. to Skr. p[=a]
to protect, L. pascere to feed, pasture, pabulum food, E.
- Cf. Feed, Fodder food, Foster to cherish.]
- What is fed upon; that which goes to support life by being received within, and assimilated by, the organism of an animal or a plant; nutriment; aliment; especially, what is eaten by animals for nourishment. Note: In a physiological sense, true aliment is to be distinguished as that portion of the food which is capable of being digested and absorbed into the blood, thus furnishing nourishment, in distinction from the indigestible matter which passes out through the alimentary canal as f[ae]ces. Note: Foods are divided into two main groups: nitrogenous, or proteid, foods, i.e., those which contain nitrogen, and nonnitrogenous, i.e., those which do not contain nitrogen. The latter group embraces the fats and carbohydrates, which collectively are sometimes termed heat producers or respiratory foods, since by oxidation in the body they especially subserve the production of heat. The proteids, on the other hand, are known as plastic foods or tissue formers, since no tissue can be formed without them. These latter terms, however, are misleading, since proteid foods may also give rise to heat both directly and indirectly, and the fats and carbohydrates are useful in other ways than in producing heat.
- Anything that instructs the intellect, excites the feelings, or molds habits of character; that which nourishes. This may prove food to my displeasure. --Shak. In this moment there is life and food For future years. --Wordsworth. Note: Food is often used adjectively or in self-explaining compounds, as in food fish or food-fish, food supply.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Food'
Food (la. cibus) is any substance or materials eaten or drunk to provide nutritional support for the body or for pleasure. It is usually of plant or animal origin, and contains essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. It is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
Historically, people obtained food from hunting and gathering, farming, ranching, and fishing, known as agriculture. Today, most of the food energy consumed by the world population is supplied by the food industry operated by multinational corporations using intensive farming and industrial agriculture methods.
Food safety and food security are monitored by agencies such as the International Association for Food Protection, World Resources Institute, World Food Programme, Food and Agriculture Organization, and International Food Information Council. They address issues such as sustainability, biological diversity, climate change, nutritional economics, population growth, water supply, and access to food.[See more about Food at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Food'
'Food' in famous quotation sentence
* Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain
* A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Roosevelt, Eleanor
Click here for more related quotations on 'Food'
Food Sample Sentences in News
- Time for Chinese fast food chains to shine?
China's homegrown fast food chains have long played second fiddle to the likes of McDonald's and Yum Brands in the mainland but with the latest food scare, things may be in for a change. Read more on this news related to 'Food'
- Rumored Danone Medical Food Sale To Hospira Would End Ambition
The Financial Times reported on Sunday that French food group Danone is in talks with Hospira of the United States to sell its medical nutrition activities in a $5 billion deal. This follows earlier reports this year that the group had mandated JP Morgan to prepare a sale. Read more on this news related to 'Food'
- Research and Markets: Hispanic Food Shoppers in the U.S.
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Hispanic Food Shoppers in the U.S." report to their offeri Read more on this news related to 'Food'