Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fog'
- droplets of water vapor suspended in the air near the ground
- an atmosphere in which visibility is reduced because of a cloud of some substance [syn: fogginess, murk, murkiness]
- confusion characterized by lack of clarity [syn: daze, haze] v : make less visible or unclear; "The stars are obscured by the clouds" [syn: obscure, befog, becloud, obnubilate, haze over, cloud, mist] [also: fogging, fogged]
- Fog \Fog\, n. (Photog.)
Cloudiness or partial opacity of those parts of a developed
film or a photograph which should be clear.
- Fog \Fog\, v. t. (Photog.)
To render semiopaque or cloudy, as a negative film, by
exposure to stray light, too long an exposure to the
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fog'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fog'
Fog is mist when it is very thick. It may appear on land or sea. It usually lowers visibility (makes it hard to see very far). When fog forms at high levels it creates a cloud called stratus. When the air chills, moisture will turn to fog.
Fog is made up of tiny water droplets or, in very cold conditions, ice crystals. When seen on a high speed camera, (a special camera that takes many frames and can view videos at very low speed) it looks like hundreds of small water droplets moving through the air. These water droplets make up the fog or mist. There are many types of fog, such as evaporation fog, advection fog, radiation fog, and upslope fog. The thickness of fog varies depending on the atmosphere, temperature, weather and location.
Crepuscular rays made by tree shadows over fog[See more about Fog at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fog'
'Fog' in famous quotation sentence
* Derive happiness in oneself from a good day's work, from illuminating the fog that surrounds us. - Henri Matisse
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fog'
Fog Sample Sentences in News
- Thick fog blankets most of Central Texas
Even though there were no reports of iced over bridges or roadways like last week, officials are urging people to use extra caution while driving. Read more on this news related to 'Fog'
- Fog delays Carnival cruise ship from docking
Dense fog hovered over the First Coast Monday morning, delaying a cruise ship's entry into port and its departure as well. Read more on this news related to 'Fog'
- Fog, smog grip parts of China
BEIJING, Dec. 8 (UPI) -- Heavy fog and smog gripped parts of China Sunday, with several cities closing roads and canceling flights. Read more on this news related to 'Fog'