Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Floor'
- the inside lower horizontal surface (as of a room or hallway); "they needed rugs to cover the bare floors" [syn: flooring]
- structure consisting of a room or set of rooms comprising a single level of a multilevel building; "what level is the office on?" [syn: level, storey, story]
- a lower limit; "the government established a wage floor" [syn: base]
- the ground on which people and animals move about; "the fire spared the forest floor"
- the bottom surface of any a cave or lake etc.
- the occupants of a floor; "the whole floor complained about the lack of heat"
- the parliamentary right to address an assembly; "the chairman granted him the floor"
- the legislative hall where members debate and vote and conduct other business; "there was a motion from the floor"
- a large room in a stock exchange where the trading is done; "he is a floor trader" [syn: trading floor] v
- surprise greatly; knock someone's socks off; "I was floored when I heard that I was promoted" [syn: shock, stun, ball over, blow out of the water, take aback]
- knock down with force; "He decked his opponent" [syn: deck, coldcock, dump, knock down]
- Floor \Floor\, n. [AS. fl?r; akin to D. vloer, G. flur field,
floor, entrance hall, Icel. fl?r floor of a cow stall, cf.
Ir. & Gael. lar floor, ground, earth, W. llawr, perh. akin to
L. planus level. Cf. Plain smooth.]
- The bottom or lower part of any room; the part upon which we stand and upon which the movables in the room are supported.
- The structure formed of beams, girders, etc., with proper covering, which divides a building horizontally into stories. Floor in sense 1 is, then, the upper surface of floor in sense 2.
- The surface, or the platform, of a structure on which we walk or travel; as, the floor of a bridge.
- A story of a building. See Story.
- (Legislative Assemblies) (a) The part of the house assigned to the members.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Floor'
A floor is the walking surface of a room or vehicle. Floors vary from simple dirt in a cave to many-layered surfaces using modern technology. Floors may be stone, wood, bamboo, metal, or any other material that can hold a person's weight.
The levels of a building are often referred to as floors and are described in the article storey. This article describes the structure of floors.
Floors typically consist of a subfloor for support and a floor covering used to give a good walking surface. In modern buildings the subfloor often has electrical wiring, plumbing, and other services built in. Because floors meet many needs, some essential to safety, floors are built to strict building codes in the first world.
Where a special floor structure like a floating floor is laid upon another floor then both may be referred to as subfloors.[See more about Floor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Floor'
'Floor' in famous quotation sentence
* It doesn't require any particular bravery to stand on the floor of the Senate and urge our boys in Vietnam to fight harder, and if this war mushrooms into a major conflict and a hundred thousand young Americans are killed, it won't be U. S. Senators who die. It will be American soldiers who are too young to qualify for the senate. - George McGovern
* Ace In Vegas, everybody's gotta watch everybody else. Since the players are looking to beat the casino, the dealers are watching the players. The box men are watching the dealers. The floor men are watching the box men. The pit bosses are watching the floor men. The shift bosses are watching the pit bosses. The casino manager is watching the shift bosses. I'm watching the casino manager. And the eye-in-the-sky is watching us all. - Casino
Click here for more related quotations on 'Floor'
Floor Sample Sentences in News
- Radiant-floor heating can add extra pampering in the bathroom
Hate touching cold tile with your bare feet? This luxury enhancement may be the answer. Read more on this news related to 'Floor'
- TBS Renews Ground Floor for Season 2
Ground Floor has been renewed for a second season, TBS announced Thursday. The upstairs/downstairs workplace comedy, which stars Skyler Astin, Briga Heelan and John C. McGinley, was picked up for... Read more on this news related to 'Floor'
- Floor collapse at church center; at least 15 hurt
LAUREL, Miss. (AP) — The second floor of an activity center at a rural church in southern Mississippi collapsed during an evening youth service, sending about 70 people tumbling and injuring at least 15 of them, authorities said. Read more on this news related to 'Floor'