Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Flirt'
- a seductive woman who uses her sex appeal to exploit men [syn: coquette, vamp, vamper, minx, tease, prickteaser]
- playful behavior intended to arouse sexual interest [syn: flirting, flirtation, coquetry, dalliance, toying] v
- talk or behave amorously, without serious intentions; "The guys always try to chat up the new secretaries"; "My husband never flirts with other women" [syn: chat up, dally, butterfly, coquet, coquette, romance, philander, mash]
- behave carelessly or indifferently; "Play about with a young girl's affection" [syn: dally, toy, play]
- Flirt \Flirt\, v. i.
- To run and dart about; to act with giddiness, or from a desire to attract notice; especially, to play the coquette; to play at courtship; to coquet; as, they flirt with the young men.
- To utter contemptuous language, with an air of disdain; to jeer or gibe. [Obs.] --Beau. & Fl.
- Flirt \Flirt\, n.
- A sudden jerk; a quick throw or cast; a darting motion; hence, a jeer. Several little flirts and vibrations. --Addison. With many a flirt and flutter. --E. A. Poe.
- [Cf. LG. flirtje, G. flirtchen. See Flirt, v. t.] One who flirts; esp., a woman who acts with giddiness, or plays at courtship; a coquette; a pert girl.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Flirt'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Flirt'
Flirting is non-physical sexual communication between two people to negotiate mutual attraction through body language and verbal tactics. It is an initiation ritual of human mating and consists of a playful sequence of reveals and challenges that serve to communicate, test, and amplify attraction. Revealing attraction is accomplished primarily through specific modes of body language that indicate contact readiness (hair flicking, eye contact, brief touching, open stances, proximity etc.) and vocal tone (pace, volume, intonation). Challenges (teasing, questions, qualifying, feigned disinterest) serve to increase tension, test intention and congruity.
Flirting may involve speaking and behaving in a way that suggests greater intimacy than is generally considered appropriate to the relationship or the period that they have known each other, without actually saying or doing anything that breaches any serious social norms. This may be accomplished by communicating a sense of playfulness or irony. Double entendres, with one meaning more formally appropriate and another more suggestive, may be used.[See more about Flirt at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Flirt'
'Flirt' in famous quotation sentence
* Golf is very much like a love affair, if you don't take it seriously, it's no fun, if you do, it breaks your heart. Don't break your heart, but flirt with the possibility. - Louise Suggs
Click here for more related quotations on 'Flirt'
Flirt Sample Sentences in News
- Flirt (Blu-ray)
Rent It THE FILM Please Note: The images used here are stills provided by director Hal Hartley's Possible Films website, not the current Blu-ray edition under review. Writer/director Hal Hartley ( Henry Fool ), with his pictures' eccentric ratios of cerebral, philosophically-minded intellectualism to wackiness and romance, is himself already something of a Read more on this news related to 'Flirt'
- Cubs flirt with rare shutout, pound Rockies
Travis Wood pitched seven scoreless innings and the Chicago Cubs came within two outs of their first shutout since last August in a 9-1 win over the Colorado Rockies on Monday night. Read more on this news related to 'Flirt'
- Parineeti wants to flirt with Ranbir Kapoor
Mumbai, May 15 (IANS) Actress Parineeti Chopra says if she has an option to flirt with someone in Bollywood, it would be the current heartthrob Ranbir Kapoor. Read more on this news related to 'Flirt'